Page 1 of 2

Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:35 am
by cursormortis
On the one hand, it's a bit worrying that she's bringing her beliefs into this. On the other, it's nice to see she does care about the students' wellbeing.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:21 am
by udyr
At least she gave a usefull advice at the end haha :lol:

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 am
by Attalus
Yeah, back to Candi! :D

More figures, Candi! Maybe more people wearing weird outits?

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:24 pm
by LadyObvious23
Uggh. She's sorta good but she's still so annoying. Lady,she doesn't need to buy a crystal. Just give her drawing advice.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:44 pm
by cursormortis
I dunno if I can fully agree with that sentiment. I mean, yeah, Candi doesn't need a crystal. But I think making sure students aren't overly stressed is part of what a good counselor should do. Really, the only problems I have with this are how long it took Candi to get this meeting and the fact that "buy a crystal" is kinda equivalent to "go pray over it." Meaning that it's not bad advice to make sure Candi does something to de-stress, just a bad idea to link it to spiritual or religious beliefs.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:47 pm
by RDrd
I'm into new age/crystal/witch stuff and this would make me angry. It's like if she were Christian and told students to a statue of [insert Patron Saint here]. She might mistakenly think that because Candi's friend has knowledge of crystals, Candi must also be into this. I hope that's the case, because if she does this to everyone then that's crap. If she wants a job where she pushes crystals and reads auras, then she should become a psychic or something.
(And, for the record, Lepidolite is specifically a very calming stone- so she is basically saying "calm down, find a way to de-stress", and "buy lepidolite" is a crappy way of saying this! I had to look it up myself)

Her advice also really was not useful. I don't know many people that couldn't have applied to. "Listen to critiques"? That can apply to literally every student. Even "couldn't hurt to have more figure drawings" could be very generic, figure drawing is a pretty basic skill for most art disciplines. There is nothing in there about critiquing her personal chances of getting into that specific major, what digital arts majors need compared to the others, etc.

Given how impossible she makes it to contact her and the stress she's caused all the students by being impossible to contact and failing to make sure they have basic info about the major process? She really would have had to knock this out of the park to seem competent. But this really looks like phoning it in.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:44 pm
by BenjaminT
Yeah, I wondered if a competent person would have given similar advice about figure drawing or if they'd give advice more applicable to her intended major. But we all know the real reason she gave that advice. Because Starline wanted Candi to have another reason to take that exotic dance class to draw more of the people there. :D

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:55 pm
by clif
udyr wrote:At least she gave a usefull advice at the end haha :lol:


RDrd wrote:Her advice also really was not useful. I don't know many people that couldn't have applied to. "Listen to critiques"? That can apply to literally every student. Even "couldn't hurt to have more figure drawings" could be very generic, figure drawing is a pretty basic skill for most art disciplines. There is nothing in there about critiquing her personal chances of getting into that specific major, what digital arts majors need compared to the others, etc.


Yeah, I couldn't tell if there was useful advice mixed in with the new age stuff or not. It's hard to imagine that Candi wouldn't have a lot of figure drawing already, but who knows. It's a fair bet that the person giving advice and the person or persons making decisions have different criteria, but that's normal.

This may also be standing in as an excerpt for a longer more detailed conversation because it has to fit in a four panel comic read by people with a limited attention span who bore easily (which is to say, us).

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 am
by BenjaminT
clif wrote:This may also be standing in as an excerpt for a longer more detailed conversation because it has to fit in a four panel comic read by people with a limited attention span who bore easily (which is to say, us).


I can buy that. It'll be interesting to see if Candi finds much to glean from it all or if she'll be dismissive about the whole thing.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 am
by BenjaminT
I wonder whether Candi will walk away from this thinking that this new counselor or Fitz was more helpful. She has seemed somewhat unappreciative or confused at the challenges Fitz has placed in front of her to help her. Maybe now she'll appreciate how much Fitz has actually helped her grow in comparison to this lady's advice.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:07 am
by RDrd
clif wrote:Yeah, I couldn't tell if there was useful advice mixed in with the new age stuff or not. It's hard to imagine that Candi wouldn't have a lot of figure drawing already, but who knows. It's a fair bet that the person giving advice and the person or persons making decisions have different criteria, but that's normal.

This may also be standing in as an excerpt for a longer more detailed conversation because it has to fit in a four panel comic read by people with a limited attention span who bore easily (which is to say, us).


You can mix in a lot more useful advice while still abbreviating the whole conversation. That she chose those two makes me think that she's trying to communicate that this woman isn't really being useful. I really can't think of an art major for whom that advice wouldn't be relevant.

I imagine Candi has a lot of figure drawing in her portfolio, or at least her sketchbooks, given how she was at the pole dancing show. She had her sketchbook out and was super excited about all the poses she was able to get sketches of.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 am
by Warrl
RDrd wrote:Even "couldn't hurt to have more figure drawings" could be very generic, figure drawing is a pretty basic skill for most art disciplines.


And precisely because it's so basic, it's easy to undervalue. Plus, there's also the mental association between nude drawings and porn.

But it would show the artist's pure drawing skill, not masked by other skills or by style.

So yeah, it's extremely generic advice, applicable to probably 90% or more of the students in the class.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 am
by Weltall84
cursormortis wrote:I dunno if I can fully agree with that sentiment. I mean, yeah, Candi doesn't need a crystal. But I think making sure students aren't overly stressed is part of what a good counselor should do. Really, the only problems I have with this are how long it took Candi to get this meeting and the fact that "buy a crystal" is kinda equivalent to "go pray over it." Meaning that it's not bad advice to make sure Candi does something to de-stress, just a bad idea to link it to spiritual or religious beliefs.


Another issue is her advice so far, seems to be the same advice Fitz gave unless I'm wrong (minus the crystal bit). Maybe this woman's letting her beliefs cause students to have to climb Mt. Everest just to get in to see her has jaded me to her; but I'm waiting to see. After all Fitz did imply the school faculty had words with this woman about her beliefs getting in the way of work.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:42 pm
by PaulJones202718
So far, we have advice Candi might be wary of (use criticism instead of letting it discourage you, draw more figures) meshed with this woman's religious beliefs. She might be thinking that all teachers are off their rockers and not just Fitz.

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:06 pm
by SAGG
I think it's hilarious that Candi's counselor is bringing in the counselor's beliefs, and putting them on Candi. If I were Candi, I'd just filter out as much as possible on those beliefs, and concentrate on the "standard" counselling... :lol: