Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Talk about the comic

Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby cursormortis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:35 am

On the one hand, it's a bit worrying that she's bringing her beliefs into this. On the other, it's nice to see she does care about the students' wellbeing.
User avatar
cursormortis
Peanut Butter Cup Captain
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:36 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby udyr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:21 am

At least she gave a usefull advice at the end haha :lol:
udyr
Quality Jelly Bean
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby Attalus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 am

Yeah, back to Candi! :D

More figures, Candi! Maybe more people wearing weird outits?
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
User avatar
Attalus
Peanut Butter Cup Captain
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 am
Location: Texas

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Uggh. She's sorta good but she's still so annoying. Lady,she doesn't need to buy a crystal. Just give her drawing advice.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:54 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby cursormortis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:44 pm

I dunno if I can fully agree with that sentiment. I mean, yeah, Candi doesn't need a crystal. But I think making sure students aren't overly stressed is part of what a good counselor should do. Really, the only problems I have with this are how long it took Candi to get this meeting and the fact that "buy a crystal" is kinda equivalent to "go pray over it." Meaning that it's not bad advice to make sure Candi does something to de-stress, just a bad idea to link it to spiritual or religious beliefs.
User avatar
cursormortis
Peanut Butter Cup Captain
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:36 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby RDrd » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:47 pm

I'm into new age/crystal/witch stuff and this would make me angry. It's like if she were Christian and told students to a statue of [insert Patron Saint here]. She might mistakenly think that because Candi's friend has knowledge of crystals, Candi must also be into this. I hope that's the case, because if she does this to everyone then that's crap. If she wants a job where she pushes crystals and reads auras, then she should become a psychic or something.
(And, for the record, Lepidolite is specifically a very calming stone- so she is basically saying "calm down, find a way to de-stress", and "buy lepidolite" is a crappy way of saying this! I had to look it up myself)

Her advice also really was not useful. I don't know many people that couldn't have applied to. "Listen to critiques"? That can apply to literally every student. Even "couldn't hurt to have more figure drawings" could be very generic, figure drawing is a pretty basic skill for most art disciplines. There is nothing in there about critiquing her personal chances of getting into that specific major, what digital arts majors need compared to the others, etc.

Given how impossible she makes it to contact her and the stress she's caused all the students by being impossible to contact and failing to make sure they have basic info about the major process? She really would have had to knock this out of the park to seem competent. But this really looks like phoning it in.
RDrd
Super Skittle
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby BenjaminT » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:44 pm

Yeah, I wondered if a competent person would have given similar advice about figure drawing or if they'd give advice more applicable to her intended major. But we all know the real reason she gave that advice. Because Starline wanted Candi to have another reason to take that exotic dance class to draw more of the people there. :D
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby clif » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:55 pm

udyr wrote:At least she gave a usefull advice at the end haha :lol:


RDrd wrote:Her advice also really was not useful. I don't know many people that couldn't have applied to. "Listen to critiques"? That can apply to literally every student. Even "couldn't hurt to have more figure drawings" could be very generic, figure drawing is a pretty basic skill for most art disciplines. There is nothing in there about critiquing her personal chances of getting into that specific major, what digital arts majors need compared to the others, etc.


Yeah, I couldn't tell if there was useful advice mixed in with the new age stuff or not. It's hard to imagine that Candi wouldn't have a lot of figure drawing already, but who knows. It's a fair bet that the person giving advice and the person or persons making decisions have different criteria, but that's normal.

This may also be standing in as an excerpt for a longer more detailed conversation because it has to fit in a four panel comic read by people with a limited attention span who bore easily (which is to say, us).
User avatar
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby BenjaminT » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 am

clif wrote:This may also be standing in as an excerpt for a longer more detailed conversation because it has to fit in a four panel comic read by people with a limited attention span who bore easily (which is to say, us).


I can buy that. It'll be interesting to see if Candi finds much to glean from it all or if she'll be dismissive about the whole thing.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby BenjaminT » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 am

I wonder whether Candi will walk away from this thinking that this new counselor or Fitz was more helpful. She has seemed somewhat unappreciative or confused at the challenges Fitz has placed in front of her to help her. Maybe now she'll appreciate how much Fitz has actually helped her grow in comparison to this lady's advice.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:24 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby RDrd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:07 am

clif wrote:Yeah, I couldn't tell if there was useful advice mixed in with the new age stuff or not. It's hard to imagine that Candi wouldn't have a lot of figure drawing already, but who knows. It's a fair bet that the person giving advice and the person or persons making decisions have different criteria, but that's normal.

This may also be standing in as an excerpt for a longer more detailed conversation because it has to fit in a four panel comic read by people with a limited attention span who bore easily (which is to say, us).


You can mix in a lot more useful advice while still abbreviating the whole conversation. That she chose those two makes me think that she's trying to communicate that this woman isn't really being useful. I really can't think of an art major for whom that advice wouldn't be relevant.

I imagine Candi has a lot of figure drawing in her portfolio, or at least her sketchbooks, given how she was at the pole dancing show. She had her sketchbook out and was super excited about all the poses she was able to get sketches of.
RDrd
Super Skittle
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby Warrl » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 am

RDrd wrote:Even "couldn't hurt to have more figure drawings" could be very generic, figure drawing is a pretty basic skill for most art disciplines.


And precisely because it's so basic, it's easy to undervalue. Plus, there's also the mental association between nude drawings and porn.

But it would show the artist's pure drawing skill, not masked by other skills or by style.

So yeah, it's extremely generic advice, applicable to probably 90% or more of the students in the class.
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby Weltall84 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 am

cursormortis wrote:I dunno if I can fully agree with that sentiment. I mean, yeah, Candi doesn't need a crystal. But I think making sure students aren't overly stressed is part of what a good counselor should do. Really, the only problems I have with this are how long it took Candi to get this meeting and the fact that "buy a crystal" is kinda equivalent to "go pray over it." Meaning that it's not bad advice to make sure Candi does something to de-stress, just a bad idea to link it to spiritual or religious beliefs.


Another issue is her advice so far, seems to be the same advice Fitz gave unless I'm wrong (minus the crystal bit). Maybe this woman's letting her beliefs cause students to have to climb Mt. Everest just to get in to see her has jaded me to her; but I'm waiting to see. After all Fitz did imply the school faculty had words with this woman about her beliefs getting in the way of work.
I am the Follower of Optimus Prime, apprentice to the King of Braves GaoGaiGar, member of the Strawhat Pirates, and eternal fan of Fred Perry. I am the UNB!
User avatar
Weltall84
Superior Sugar Cane
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:24 am
Location: Daytona Beach

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby PaulJones202718 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:42 pm

So far, we have advice Candi might be wary of (use criticism instead of letting it discourage you, draw more figures) meshed with this woman's religious beliefs. She might be thinking that all teachers are off their rockers and not just Fitz.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
User avatar
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Maybe buy a lepidolite crystal... 7/18/16

Postby SAGG » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:06 pm

I think it's hilarious that Candi's counselor is bringing in the counselor's beliefs, and putting them on Candi. If I were Candi, I'd just filter out as much as possible on those beliefs, and concentrate on the "standard" counselling... :lol:
User avatar
SAGG
Super Skittle
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests

cron