I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Talk about the comic

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby SAGG » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:21 pm

PaulJones202718 wrote:Oh, goody. A storyline from "Three's Company" that could be resolved in a picosecond if people would simply talk to one another and ask for clarification on a statement. Trevor's Mom knows that she's meeting his boyfriend but he don't know what she knows and neither will Matt and hey, look, it's Don Knotts in a leisure suit.
:lol: Dude, you're a kook!
User avatar
SAGG
Super Skittle
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby cursormortis » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:25 pm

I wonder if Trevor is calling Matt his friend because he doesn't want his mom doing the embarrassing parent thing with his significant other, no matter what gender they are.
User avatar
cursormortis
Peanut Butter Cup Captain
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:36 am

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby ShadeTail » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:15 am

cursormortis wrote:I wonder if Trevor is calling Matt his friend because he doesn't want his mom doing the embarrassing parent thing with his significant other, no matter what gender they are.

Maybe, but my money's on Trevor just trying to stay in the closet. He has a bit of a history of that, between his dad and the blood drive thing a few (real time) years ago. He doesn't like being open about it except with his real close friends.
Image
User avatar
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose
 
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby LadyObvious23 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:13 am

It's understandable though. Sad too. Poor Trevor.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:54 am

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby cursormortis » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:22 am

ShadeTail wrote:
cursormortis wrote:I wonder if Trevor is calling Matt his friend because he doesn't want his mom doing the embarrassing parent thing with his significant other, no matter what gender they are.

Maybe, but my money's on Trevor just trying to stay in the closet. He has a bit of a history of that, between his dad and the blood drive thing a few (real time) years ago. He doesn't like being open about it except with his real close friends.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of it, but I don't think Trevor's mom knowing would be an issue. I think he's said he doesn't want his dad to know, but I don't think he's ever said anything about his mom. That, to me, indicates that T-Mom is more tolerant than T-Dad, as does the fact that she buys the tickets, which I don't think she'd do if she disapproved of homosexual relationships (I mean, it's not like Tervor is actually subtle). And I don't think Trevor actually tries to hide the fact that he's bi (except in cases where his dad might hear about it), particularly because he says so here. So he might seem more open with his friends, but he's also living with his friends and would have a much harder time hiding it from them unless he only dated girls throughout college.

If the need to hide his sexuality is his primary reason, I think it's more that he's not entirely sure T-Mom won't mention it to T-Dad. Which I don't think she would, as she has to know her ex-husband well enough to realize it would not go well for Trevor. That doesn't mean he rationally realizes that--even people who have a good relationship with their parents can fear a major revelation like that--but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit more relaxed with her because of it.
User avatar
cursormortis
Peanut Butter Cup Captain
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:36 am

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby clif » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:46 pm

SAGG wrote:
PaulJones202718 wrote:Oh, goody. A storyline from "Three's Company" that could be resolved in a picosecond if people would simply talk to one another and ask for clarification on a statement. Trevor's Mom knows that she's meeting his boyfriend but he don't know what she knows and neither will Matt and hey, look, it's Don Knotts in a leisure suit.
:lol: Dude, you're a kook!

I think it's a schtick, but I'm never completely 100% sure.

It's like that one time in For Better or Worse.
User avatar
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby RDrd » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:08 am

cursormortis wrote:
ShadeTail wrote:
cursormortis wrote:I wonder if Trevor is calling Matt his friend because he doesn't want his mom doing the embarrassing parent thing with his significant other, no matter what gender they are.

Maybe, but my money's on Trevor just trying to stay in the closet. He has a bit of a history of that, between his dad and the blood drive thing a few (real time) years ago. He doesn't like being open about it except with his real close friends.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of it, but I don't think Trevor's mom knowing would be an issue. I think he's said he doesn't want his dad to know, but I don't think he's ever said anything about his mom. That, to me, indicates that T-Mom is more tolerant than T-Dad, as does the fact that she buys the tickets, which I don't think she'd do if she disapproved of homosexual relationships (I mean, it's not like Tervor is actually subtle). And I don't think Trevor actually tries to hide the fact that he's bi (except in cases where his dad might hear about it), particularly because he says so here. So he might seem more open with his friends, but he's also living with his friends and would have a much harder time hiding it from them unless he only dated girls throughout college.

If the need to hide his sexuality is his primary reason, I think it's more that he's not entirely sure T-Mom won't mention it to T-Dad. Which I don't think she would, as she has to know her ex-husband well enough to realize it would not go well for Trevor. That doesn't mean he rationally realizes that--even people who have a good relationship with their parents can fear a major revelation like that--but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit more relaxed with her because of it.


I think you're forgetting the blood drawing arc. Read the next few pages from this one: http://candicomics.com/d/20101104.html

I think Trevor tries to naturally have a "devil may care" attitude about life- when he was on mommy and daddy's dime he didn't give a shit about rules or who he offended. So he tries to bring that to his relationship with Matt. But he's still insecure about how people see queerness. College is a safe little bubble, so he probably isn't too worried about people knowing he's bi on campus- but he has a pattern that every time it's something more official or outside that bubble- he hides it.

I cannot be bothered doing an archive trawl over this, but I don't remember them doing loads of PDA. I know they were fine doing stuff in public at the rave- but I imagine that was specifically a pretty queer friendly party.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this is why he included Laura in a lot of things- like the summer trip he brought her and Matt on. It certainly hid it from his parents.
RDrd
Super Skittle
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 am

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby cursormortis » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:15 am

The blood drawing arc is where I found the strip I linked to earlier. I agree that Trevor is a bit more careful on official forms and the like, but I don't think that's because he's afraid of people knowing in general; he's afraid of his dad knowing, and he's careful when he thinks there's a chance things will get back to him. As for the blood drawing in particular, I'm not gay or bi, but I can't think of a single time I've officially been asked if I've been sexually active with another man where good things would follow if I said yes.

I considered your point about Laura, and the possibility that Trevor did bring her along as a smokescreen for his dad, but I'm not sure that's what happened. Trevor and Laura are pretty close friends; I think it makes a lot of sense for them to spend the summer together whether or not Matt is involved.
User avatar
cursormortis
Peanut Butter Cup Captain
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:36 am

Re: I've booked our flights 06/28/2016

Postby RDrd » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:05 am

Without being able to sit down and speak with Trevor ourselves, at this point I think it's open to interpretation. Trevor's always given me the vibe of wanting to be out- but ultimately being really uncomfortable with people knowing he's bi. It's also fair to read it as "he's specifically afraid of his dad finding out because his dad is homophobic" (and, honestly, he could be afraid both of his parents are- whether or not they actually are).
RDrd
Super Skittle
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 am

Previous

Return to Candi Comics Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest