Cider Idea 9/18/15

Talk about the comic

Cider Idea 9/18/15

Postby Tandel » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:10 am

Oooh, this is getting juicy now. I wonder if Thad knows who the cider idea was for and other salient details relating to why Chris needed an idea.

Also I can't disagree with Chris' advice here. As sucky as it is to lose that friendship he could start going to a much darker place if That cannot indeed handle his shit.
Tandel
Gum Ball Boss

Re: Cider Idea 9/18/15

Postby PaulJones202718 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:28 am

It looks hypocritical but it isn't. The obstacle is not distance or time but simply Candi not quite being willing to forgive him for being himself quite yet.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby packy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:18 am

You don't have to LOSE the friendship. Taking time off can be just as effective. I took a year off from a friend when she started dating her husband, and I was able to handle it when I came back. It was just important to say that I was taking time off to deal with MY shit, so she didn't think it was something SHE did.
packy
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby James Rye » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:47 am

So it was Thad who had the cider idea which Candi praised Chris for? Looks like Thad and Chris have really good advices for each other in their relationship problems. ^^
James Rye
Chocolate Champion

Postby cursormortis » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:05 am

packy wrote:It was just important to say that I was taking time off to deal with MY shit, so she didn't think it was something SHE did.

Bingo. Taking time away from a situation you can't handle isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if it's a relationship, you damn well better say why you're doing it. Otherwise you will lose the friendship.

I can think of someone else who could've benefited from such advice, but that's a can of worms best left unopened.
cursormortis
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby LadyObvious23 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:19 pm

It's blunt and insightful. Also exactly what he needs to hear. I hope it works for him.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby BlueRoses » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:27 am

... you know, if Thad wasn't so hung up on Katia, I might ship him with Candi. He's cute, smart, patient, intuitive (per the cider suggestion), and clearly geared towards monogamy.

I know it's a moot point since Candi is developing a hard-on for Chris, but still.
BlueRoses
Gum Ball Boss

Postby g33x0R » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:30 am

Now that you mention it, this cider idea does have kind of a Cyrano de Bergerac vibe to it, doesn't it?

I'm not quite sure what to think of this. I mean it's not exactly lying, but not entirely honest either. Just ask yourself, how would Candi feel if she knew whose idea that was?

BTW, clif nailed it. I could see something between Katia and Chris [much more rewarding than her brief encounter with Alex], if he weren't busy with Candi right now. But Thad and Candi...? Well, not from their interactions, which seem more like ordinary classmate stuff to me, but their personalities, sure.

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R

Postby Sylvanaerie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 am

It doesn't seem that dishonest. He may have been lamenting that he wanted to get to know a girl better, but not sure how to get her to relax and just talk. Thad suggested the cider, and it was a good suggestion but for the groupies who horned in. He just suggested it, Chris didn't have to follow up on it, but probably saw it as a good idea, and more helpful than anything he had come up with anyway. I'd view it as a more personal version of "Ask Dear Abby".

My husband had a crush on me when we first met, but didn't know how to express himself, so he asked one of my supervisors what he could do. He recommended getting me a card or some flowers. It worked out well, since I was crushing on him too. I'd view this the same kind of situation.

A further note, thanks for these, Starline. This series of strips is a good interaction between two male friends letting us see closer into what makes them tick, and I'm enjoying the whole thing immensely. Mostly, because I think up to now, Thad's been a pretty lonely fella and needs a few good friends, which it seems Chris is shaping up to be.
Sylvanaerie
Super Skittle

Postby BenjaminT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:01 pm

On the scale of 100% full disclosure, "Oh, my friend...you know him, Thad, was telling me about this amazing drink and I thought we could try it together" to way past withholding info to outright lies, "My grandma used to make this before she died and until now I had never found a place that makes it quite like she does" Chris is at neither extreme but certainly much closer to full disclosure.

What will be interesting and more morally ambiguous is if he continues to turn to Thad for advice on Candi. It's one thing to get date ideas from friends (even your date's friends. It's another thing to essentially date a friend by proxy. I wouldn't put it past Starline to go that route for a bit but so far I don't think Chris has crossed that line.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby g33x0R » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Yeah. Mixed feelings, not total condemnation. I guess I'll just see where this goes... :-)

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R

Return to Candi Comics Discussion