Or whatever you seem to be dealing with, 11 September 2015

Talk about the comic

Or whatever you seem to be dealing with, 11 September 2015

Postby PaulJones202718 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:24 am

So, he's not all choked up about Jess because while he might have cared for her, Chris sees her as not quite being The One. The One has pink hair and hates nicknames.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Re: Or whatever you seem to be dealing with, 11 September 20

Postby Fereshte » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:29 am

I love a good dose of foreshadowing! ;)
Fereshte
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby g33x0R » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:30 am

So do I, Fereshte, so do I.

PaulJones202718 wrote:So, he's not all choked up about Jess because while he might have cared for her, Chris sees her as not quite being The One. The One has pink hair and hates nicknames.

I thought The One had black hair and preferred to be called Neo...

Anyway, I think he was a little choked-up about Jess before, but that was some time ago. Things change. People move on. Just a touch of denial can help with that. I don't think he sees Candi as The One either, at this point, and probably won't until it's too late to back out... ;-) I just don't think he's wired that way -- which is probably a good thing, because seeing anyone you are not currently fully involved with as your One Twue Wuv can be a rather creepy. Just ask Edward [Cullen or ex-member]. On second thought, don't. :-\

[Not looking up the Princess Bride clip that goes with that `Twue Wuv' reference, even though Peter Cook was awesome in that scene. Best seen in context; eg, watch the whole movie instead of just some clip off YouTube.]

Still early in the thread, but I notice no one's mentioned Thad yet. I think he's making a decent effort not to go full Jon&Candi with this. I seem to remember Katia also feeling a bit let-down by her adventures with other boys [when not paralyzed by shyness]. Or maybe that was just Alex.

Anyway, it seems like events are slowly steering these two back toward each other.

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby Tandel » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:56 am

Fereshte wrote:I love a good dose of foreshadowing! ;)

It's some of the most heavy handed... and absolutely delicious foreshadowing I've seen. Not enough to sate my hunger.
Tandel
Gum Ball Boss

Postby Warrl » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:25 pm

g33x0R wrote:I don't think he sees Candi as The One either, at this point, and probably won't until it's too late to back out... ;-)

I think he sees Candi as "possibly Miss Right, but definitely not Miss Right Now, so when I'm sure that I'm more interested in the former than the latter I might actually pursue her - but in the meantime she's an old friend".

I also think he's coming to understand that Candi saw a lot of the high-school teasing as mean and hateful, while Candi's coming to understand that *he* saw it as friendly and playful. That's the kind of difference that really needs to be worked out before there's any hope of a serious relationship lasting. (ANY kind of serious relationship. It's why my nephew won't speak to his stepfather now that his mom has died.) And in the instance, I sorta want to side with Chris, his calling her by the names of all sorts of candies is kind of cute and not directly insulting - but I can't, because he should have seen how it affected her and either explained it WAY before he did, or stopped, or both.
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby g33x0R » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Where's that damned `Like' button? Anyway, yeah Warri.

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R

Postby SAGG » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:46 am

This confirms to me what some posters here thought: That Chris doesn't know that Candi's thinking about REALLY liking him. He hasn't a clue, which isn't surprising since he's a guy, right, ladies...? :lol:
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:02 am

Nah. More like he's never felt the urge to be monogamous.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby BenjaminT » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:37 am

I see Chris as being similar to Candi in that he appears to have some degree of denial. Like Candi, what he says and how he acts don't always align. Remember how oblivious Candi appeared to be of Jon's crush? And yet when push came to shove, Candi would eventually acknowledge it but downplay it severely.

I think Chris has indicated some level of awareness of feelings between them that is different from other girls but also plenty of resistance to that as well. Because of that, it's really hard to gauge where he is actually at at any given moment.

In the case of Jess, for instance, it's really hard to tell whether he was starting to truly fall for her or just really insecure about her nonchalance toward him. It's possible that he was mainly drawn to her and hung up on her simply because she so quickly stopped being the typical "adoring fan." He seems to be really tired of that and so maybe he became really interested in Jess due to that but that doesn't mean he was in love with her. It's also possible that his attraction to Candi is (at least partially) for similar reasons and so he downplays how serious those feelings might be.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby clif » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:16 pm

clif wrote:Stand by for words of wisdom from Chris in 3, 2, 1....

Or not.

Given what we know of Chris and Jess, it's easy to say that Chris is living in De Nile or therebouts, but it's also true that he bounced back from Jess fairly easy, so it's hard to say for sure. For all that Chris seems open, it's hard to know what he's thinking.

I had thought that Jess was being clever-smart and playing Chris just right to eventually reel him in. But in fact, perhaps in part because of her brother, she seems to have problems being too close with anyone. She enjoys sex but fears actual intimacy. Chris was safe because he was a player, until he wanted more. Jon is safe because he is fixed on Candi. (Until maybe he isn't?) In both cases, she insists on being in control, not unreasonable in itself.

If Chis is being completely honest here with Thad, then that doesn't bode well for Candi, who is letting her feelings for Chris start to surface. But is he being honest or is he just playing a role?
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby cursormortis » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Why can't it be both? Even if he's crushing hard on Candi, he might be self-analytical enough to realize it's not love. And saying he's cared about the girls he's been with is pretty vague. He never says if he means that he remembers their names and says hi now and then, or if he's friends with them still, or if he's crushed on them like he did on Jess, or anything in between. My thought here is that he's being truthful, but he's hedging closer to playing his role than to telling the whole truth.

I also think he really doesn't get what Thad's dealing with. Thoughts on love aside, I don't think he's ever wanted a girl to be monogamous to him to the point that it ruins his other dates. As long as he wakes up with a girl in his bed, I don't think he cares much if she was in someone else's last night.
cursormortis

Postby BenjaminT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:38 am

For some reason, I find it really amusing how he says he's "cared about some of the girls I've been with." It almost makes it sound like most of the girls he's been with he hasn't cared one whit about. haha! At least he didn't say he's cared about a couple of them or something like that. haha
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:14 am

Or he's aromantic and isn't interested in romantic relationships?
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby BenjaminT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:42 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Or he's aromantic and isn't interested in romantic relationships?

Then what's with Jess and the flowers? Just some failed attempt at more frequent booty calls?
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:11 pm

Sometimes people confuse romantic love with other things. Trust me,I know. :(
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion