No dialogue, 24 August 2015

Talk about the comic

Re: No dialogue, 24 August 2015

Postby James Rye » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:07 am

This DUUUUUUUUDE! All flirting, kissing, sexy time and then leaves the door and looks like 2 days of rainweather! THIIIIIISSSS DUUUUUDEEE!!!!! Be happy for being such a smooth guy and getting laid with such a beauty who even seems to really like you given her blush! Or at least look less let down! >.<
James Rye
Chocolate Champion

Postby BenjaminT » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:28 am

Lasenna wrote:My biggest question is does Thad feel guilty about the sex because he still cares more about Katia, or does he honestly want to pursue this relationship and give up on Kat? .

I think he honestly wants (or wanted) to pursue this relationship, but part of it may be to help him give up on Kat. Meaning that he never thought of it as a one night stand but he also never thought of it anywhere near the "and then we'll get married and live happily ever after" way and if he was honest with himself he'd say he knew it probably wouldn't last long term.

Now that he's had the date it looks like he's either thinking, "This sucks. Even when I have a great time I go back to thinking about Katia," OR "Wow. She is so awesome. So when's the other shoe going to drop? Whenever I meet someone good I feel like they're going to dump me."

It's amazing how irrational we can be sometimes when something bad happens we often start to expect it to keep on happening again and again however unlikely it might be in reality.

The reasons I strongly doubt that Thad was intentionally seeking out a one night stand are because: 1. He's too much of a romantic. I think he wants to turn every friendship and relationship into a huge amazing eternal thing. 2. He knows how much it hurts and wouldn't want to intentionally put that kind of pain on someone else.

#2 may also be an explanation for his expression at the end. He may realize this woman likes him way more than he likes her and he's saddened/afraid he's going to put her through the same pain he's in. But I strongly doubt he knew that going in. I suspect that this isn't even a one night thing. Unless this is a flashback this is likely the same girl he went out with before that Katia was probing about. So it's at LEAST a second date (though the first one may not have ended quite so successfully).
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby BlueRoses » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am

In Thad's defense, that might have been his first casual sexual encounter (he's gone on dates, yeah, but maybe not sealed the seal). That face still looks like he's trying to compute the notion of "I just had a one night stand". It can be overwhelming to absorb the first time.
BlueRoses
Gum Ball Boss

Postby BenjaminT » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:32 am

That's a good point and may be possible. I guess we'll have to wait and see more. I'm hoping we see Thad genuinely happy at some not so distant point. I don't want him to turn into another tragic character like Jon and to a lesser extent Candi where happiness is always just out of reach.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby Longlivetheking » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:37 am

Yeah, hopefully things go better for Thad than they went for Jon, who is FINALLY starting to get over Candi, though I'm not sure where Jon's character will be without Candi as his central focus.
Longlivetheking
Chewy Caramel

Postby MorrisCat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:22 pm

BenjaminT wrote:
Lasenna wrote:My biggest question is does Thad feel guilty about the sex because he still cares more about Katia, or does he honestly want to pursue this relationship and give up on Kat? .

I think he honestly wants (or wanted) to pursue this relationship, but part of it may be to help him give up on Kat. Meaning that he never thought of it as a one night stand but he also never thought of it anywhere near the "and then we'll get married and live happily ever after" way and if he was honest with himself he'd say he knew it probably wouldn't last long term.

Now that he's had the date it looks like he's either thinking, "This sucks. Even when I have a great time I go back to thinking about Katia," OR "Wow. She is so awesome. So when's the other shoe going to drop? Whenever I meet someone good I feel like they're going to dump me."

It's amazing how irrational we can be sometimes when something bad happens we often start to expect it to keep on happening again and again however unlikely it might be in reality.

The reasons I strongly doubt that Thad was intentionally seeking out a one night stand are because: 1. He's too much of a romantic. I think he wants to turn every friendship and relationship into a huge amazing eternal thing. 2. He knows how much it hurts and wouldn't want to intentionally put that kind of pain on someone else.

#2 may also be an explanation for his expression at the end. He may realize this woman likes him way more than he likes her and he's saddened/afraid he's going to put her through the same pain he's in. But I strongly doubt he knew that going in. I suspect that this isn't even a one night thing. Unless this is a flashback this is likely the same girl he went out with before that Katia was probing about. So it's at LEAST a second date (though the first one may not have ended quite so successfully).

I simply must agree on all points. From the first panel we can infer that they have a great time when together. From the second panel it seems that they are close and physically attracted to say the least. In the last panel we really do not know what Thad is thinking as he walks away - other than he is conflicted.

As pointed out Thad is - or at least thinks of himself as - a romantic. He fell hard for Katia from first sight but found that she was just not into the whole romance thing. I Am still actually trying to understand what Katia wants other than "boys" but that is for another discussion. One other take I would add is that maybe Thad is feeling conflicted because he actually is falling for this girl and feels like he wants to be exclusive, which he also knows means that Katia will have no one and I think he would feel badly about that.
"I know I'm maladjusted
Kill what's inside of me"
Stained ~ Android Lust
MorrisCat
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Onijin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:41 pm

I also felt the need to comment on today's art.

enigmaxtreme wrote:Shame....I think she's cuter than Katia

Seconded. I hope she comes back at least once.
Onijin
Chewy Caramel

Postby Mew-Universe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:28 pm

The art is beautiful! I love it! :D Although it's sad to see Thad so sad... I'm thinking he still has feelings for Katia, no matter how much he's trying to move on... :(
"If you truly love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever; if it doesn't, it never was to begin with." - An old proverb.
Mew-Universe
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby BenjaminT » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:31 pm

One other take I would add is that maybe Thad is feeling conflicted because he actually is falling for this girl and feels like he wants to be exclusive, which he also knows means that Katia will have no one and I think he would feel badly about that.

Maybe, I guess. The reason that doesn't resonate with me is that he would have to think highly of her enough that he'd think of her welfare just after falling for someone else but also think low enough of her that he really would believe Katia would remain alone and lonely for long if not for him.

For me, the first part is maybe believable but the latter part is not to me. While he recognized that she was shy and maybe a bit jealous of his ability to get a date, I think he sees her as such a great catch that some guy would come along before long to sweep her off her feet.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby clif » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:37 am

BlueRoses wrote:In Thad's defense, that might have been his first casual sexual encounter (he's gone on dates, yeah, but maybe not sealed the seal). That face still looks like he's trying to compute the notion of "I just had a one night stand". It can be overwhelming to absorb the first time.

I'm seeing a fun time together. I'm seeing a possibly spectacular goodby kiss. I'm seeing a Thad with mixed feelings. Where are you guys seeing a one night stand???
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Sylvanaerie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 am

clif wrote:
BlueRoses wrote:In Thad's defense, that might have been his first casual sexual encounter (he's gone on dates, yeah, but maybe not sealed the seal). That face still looks like he's trying to compute the notion of "I just had a one night stand". It can be overwhelming to absorb the first time.

I'm seeing a fun time together. I'm seeing a possibly spectacular goodby kiss. I'm seeing a Thad with mixed feelings. Where are you guys seeing a one night stand???

In the final/split panel she is hiding behind the door in her underwear. Now, granted maybe they got into some heavy making out and 'one night stand' might be assuming much, but it's a reasonable assumption given panels 1 and 2. Especially without verbal cues.

All I'm getting from Tad in the last panel is conflict. About what, I"m not sure.
Sylvanaerie
Super Skittle

Postby UnstoppableTaboo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:06 am

Also, I was so distracted by the pretty art in this episode that I forgot to be angry that we only got a single episode of Jess before she was snatched away from us again. *shakes fist*
UnstoppableTaboo
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby PurpleJellybean » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:20 am

I don't know why, but somehow the second panel makes me think of Sailor Pluto and Doctor 10 hooking up! :D
PurpleJellybean
Gum Ball Boss

Postby Lasenna » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:00 pm

clif wrote:I'm seeing a fun time together. I'm seeing a possibly spectacular goodby kiss. I'm seeing a Thad with mixed feelings. Where are you guys seeing a one night stand???

There were several clues in the last panel. It's not just that the date was shyly hiding behind the door in a black bra (as opposed to the long sleeve green shirt of their date) and the continuing blush on both their cheeks across all three panels. There is also the obvious fact that Thad's hair is messed up while leaving in the same clothes. And while this one is by no means definite, the cup of coffee date strikes me as a later in the day/evening sort of activity, whereas Thad is clearly leaving in the morning.
Lasenna
Cool Gummi Bear

Postby Starline » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:35 am

PurpleJellybean wrote:I don't know why, but somehow the second panel makes me think of Sailor Pluto and Doctor 10 hooking up! :D

Why is this the first time I've ever considered this pairing?! :O

It... it makes so much sense.
Starline
Comic Creator

PreviousNext

Return to Candi Comics Discussion