"She would be so easy to manipulate..."(8/7/15)

Talk about the comic

"She would be so easy to manipulate..."(8/7/15)

Postby tounces7 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:56 am

Well, I guess we get to see her thoughts today.

I'm not sure what she was thinking was necessarily malicious, though. More like speculation.

I don't know why she calls Katia weird though. Naive, yes, not very bright, possibly, but not really weird. I think Linda was just really caught off guard.
tounces7
Top-Notch Truffle

Re: "She would be so easy to manipulate..."(8/7/15)

Postby highdeprogrammer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:19 am

There's the Linda we all know and loathe.
highdeprogrammer
Junior Mint

Postby PaulJones202718 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:45 am

She really hasn't learned especially all that much from her experiences because she's still viewing them through the prism of high school thinking. Granted, there are a lot of shallow, damaging manipulators out there but not everyone is trying to kill her game.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby g33x0R » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Didn't say she would, just said it would be easy to do. And she's right. For now I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, and hope Katia's positive attitude has a positive effect on her. That could be a mistake, but I like how Katia's genuine concern for Linda's well-being [last panel] has completely blindsided her. :-)

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby Attalus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:19 pm

highdeprogrammer wrote:There's the Linda we all know and loathe.
+1!

I think it is funny that Linda has been patronizing Katia but from Katia's point of view, Linda is the pathetic one.
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
Attalus

Postby ShadeTail » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:05 am

g33x0R wrote:Didn't say she would, just said it would be easy to do. And she's right. For now I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, and hope Katia's positive attitude has a positive effect on her. That could be a mistake, but I like how Katia's genuine concern for Linda's well-being [last panel] has completely blindsided her. :-)

I half-agree with you. Linda hasn't done anything to Katia *yet*. We'll have to wait and see if she's actually learned her lesson this time, but I'm not confident. She's shown signs of progress before, only to backslide.
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby cursormortis » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:27 pm

So, the question here is: why did Starline give us that glimpse? To make us mistrust Linda? To show she's changing? To establish an idea about Katia that she'll show is false later? Personally, I'm leaning towards the last one. Linda may be changing, but old habits are hard to break and she'll slide back at some point. When she does, she'll go after Katia in some way, only for Katia to figure out what's going on. Possibly because Linda wilk be a bit too obvious about it, thinking Katia an easy mark.
cursormortis

Postby UnstoppableTaboo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:22 am

I dunno if it's Starline's intention to redeem Linda in the long term (not every character needs to be redeemed and/or have their redemption documented), but if so, Linda's had one of the loooongest stretches of 'unredemption' that I've ever seen in a webcomic, at least for a character who isn't an outright villain. Every time it seems like she gets a wake-up call and is starting to get it, she does something else that proves just how little she's learned in the long run.

I remember the first time I really got the feeling that there was going to be a "turning point" in her development, which was when Bianca chewed her out for her behaviour while living with Alex. And that was 4-5 years ago, iirc. I've long since learned not to get my hopes up, and it in fact makes me a little bored of her character whenever she comes around now.
UnstoppableTaboo
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby cursormortis » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:33 am

One thing that I think is easy to forget when we're looking at the character development here is how much time has passed in-comic. Bianca and Linda may have had their little chat years ago IRL, but it's only been a few months in-comic. Hell, the entire comic has taken less than a year and a half in-comic. So yeah, the development might seem slow to us, but to the characters it's going as normal.
cursormortis

Postby Lasenna » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:35 am

cursormortis wrote:So, the question here is: why did Starline give us that glimpse? To make us mistrust Linda? To show she's changing? To establish an idea about Katia that she'll show is false later? Personally, I'm leaning towards the last one.

I think Starline included that last part to show that Linda is still Linda, and this is where her thoughts would normally go. Just because that's what her initial thought would be doesn't mean she intends to act on it. I'm on board with those giving Linda the benefit of the doubt. She's shown remarkable growth since the end of her relationship with Alex, and we all know she's desperate for friends. She joined a class for friends and the friendliest person in the world (Katia) is in it and already unconditionally extending an olive branch in that direction DESPITE knowing about Linda's actions in the past.

And yes, Katia would come across as weird to most normal, especially scheming people, because she's just too sweet and trusting to be true. Her personality is more like what you expect of an elementary school student in some ways (sans desire for sex and boys). However, despite her ultra-sheltered upbringing she's eager to explore and makes new friends easily.
Lasenna
Cool Gummi Bear

Return to Candi Comics Discussion