Trying to Be Friends With Me (7/31/15)

Talk about the comic

Re: Trying to Be Friends With Me (7/31/15)

Postby Sylvanaerie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:36 pm

I dunno, seems out of character to me for Linda to be laughing about Laura spilling the beans about LInda being there. She basically had to tiptoe around and play maid service (who knows what all Laura had her doing). She doesn't strike me as having much of a sense of humor, particularly one where she ends up the butt of the joke. Recall her reaction when she learned about Alex and Katia even though she was already broken up with him and had been losing interest in him for quite some time. That's more the kind of reaction I would expect if she suddenly learned she was played.

When I first read the strip it seemed like Linda was laughing at Katia's naive query about people getting over it. While she is clueless about what exactly she did to incur their wrath, Linda is well aware they were all pissed at her for what happened. She even acknowledged it caused drama (even if she wasn't sure just why there was drama).

And that's still how I see it.
Sylvanaerie
Super Skittle

Postby BenjaminT » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:50 pm

I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent that this shows a change in Linda, but the reason I don't see this as TOTALLY out of character is that she's coming to a realization of more than one thing. It's not JUST that Laura duped her but also that she has been assuming that others disliked her or held things against her so thoroughly that they would kick her out. She's realizing that every single one of them knew she was there and decided they were okay with it. So yeah, there's a bad side to it and we may see her reaction to that in later strips but this bad side is mixed with a good side. Much better than she expected. I imagine that reduces her defensiveness to a great degree.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby clif » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:53 am

Sylvanaerie wrote:When I first read the strip it seemed like Linda was laughing at Katia's naive query about people getting over it. While she is clueless about what exactly she did to incur their wrath, Linda is well aware they were all pissed at her for what happened. She even acknowledged it caused drama (even if she wasn't sure just why there was drama).

And that's still how I see it.

And I might have agreed with you if not for the third panel. Eyes wide, mouth covered, eyebrows raised in shock as the full impact hits her. And only then followed by uncontrolable laughter that might not be absolutely totally 100 percent completely sane. Hand over her forhead as the release of long held tensions escapes.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby ShadeTail » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:38 pm

clif wrote:And I might have agreed with you if not for the third panel. Eyes wide, mouth covered, eyebrows raised in shock as the full impact hits her. And only then followed by uncontrolable laughter that might not be absolutely totally 100 percent completely sane. Hand over her forhead as the release of long held tensions escapes.

You sure are reading an awful lot into that. Maybe you're right, but it's perfectly reasonable that Linda really could be that shocked at Katia's naivete. Thinking they're over it just because they grudgingly let her crash there when she was homeless? Really?
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby clif » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:30 pm

ShadeTail wrote:
clif wrote:And I might have agreed with you if not for the third panel. Eyes wide, mouth covered, eyebrows raised in shock as the full impact hits her. And only then followed by uncontrollable laughter that might not be absolutely totally 100 percent completely sane. Hand over her forehead as the release of long held tensions escape.

You sure are reading an awful lot into that.

True enough.
ShadeTail wrote: Maybe you're right, but it's perfectly reasonable that Linda really could be that shocked at Katia's naivete. Thinking they're over it just because they grudgingly let her crash there when she was homeless? Really?

Well, she's known Katia how long now? More than one conversation? The same girl who believed her about her open relationship and acted on it. The same girl that Linda is having to give relationship advice to because she can't understand her "boyfriend's" reaction. Katia and naivete. How shocking could it be?

As far as Linda has known to this point, Laura, Trev and Jon were the only ones who knew she was camping there. And now Katia has revealed that she knew. And furthermore she did it in the context that none of the members of the household could be expected to be upset about Katia's friendship with Linda because Linda stayed in Jon and Trev's room. And that inference only makes sense if they knew. So all the information needed is there for Linda to get that all the people she was sneaking around and hiding from at great inconvenience to herself actually knew she was there the whole time.

So, yeah, my interpretation and reading of the body language Starline depicts could still be wrong. But it fits.

Aside from inconveniences like sleeping on the floor, generally living there while making as little impact as possible wasn't easy for someone like Linda, and in her world if she was caught then she was out on the street with nowhere to live. I think there was a lot of tension and stress involved in her stay as a hidden guest and I think we are seeing some of that escape in the last panel.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby g33x0R » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:41 pm

clif wrote:[...]
So all the information needed is there for Linda to get that all the people she was sneaking around and hiding from at great inconvenience to herself actually knew she was there the whole time.

`You mean, you could all see me, this whole time...?'

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Previous

Return to Candi Comics Discussion