Trying to Be Friends With Me (7/31/15)

Talk about the comic

Trying to Be Friends With Me (7/31/15)

Postby SAGG » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:33 am

Linda, you're starting that self persecution complex again, be careful... :lol:
SAGG
Super Skittle

Re: Trying to Be Friends With Me (7/31/15)

Postby LadyObvious23 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:43 am

How can she be so naive? :/
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby SAGG » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:32 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:How can she be so naive? :/

Katia or Linda? Maybe both? :lol:
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby RDrd » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:30 am

SAGG wrote:

I don't really see naievete from Linda here- she's fully aware that her presence is barely tolerated. Which is absolutely true. Candi does not trust her and wants nothing to do with her. Laura doesn't trust her. Jess doesn't trust her. I don't think there's any sign that the guys trust her. Linda's finally figured out that kindness isn't the same as weakness. None of them are cruel enough to kick her out on the streets, but that doesn't mean they like her or are happy about her presence.

And if they knew Katia was trying to befriend her- either they'd start wondering if Katia is purposefully trying to incite massive drama bombs or, more likely, they'd worry about just how naive Katia is and try to make sure she knows what she's getting into.
RDrd
Super Skittle

Postby PaulJones202718 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:29 am

Given that she's still a kid sort of, she's aware that the people there all hate her but she's not quite aware that she sort of made them that way. She still has yet to connect the dots between what she originally thought was a good idea and the horrible end results thereof....which we'll soon see because of the title of the arc. We're in for her dropping a crapload of drama bombs because she doesn't realize that the way she thinks things should be isn't the way after all. Her "Yeah.....I fucked THAT up" moment is years from now when she's far away from these people.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby BenjaminT » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:47 am

RDrd wrote:
SAGG wrote:

I don't really see naievete from Linda here- she's fully aware that her presence is barely tolerated. Which is absolutely true. Candi does not trust her and wants nothing to do with her. Laura doesn't trust her. Jess doesn't trust her. I don't think there's any sign that the guys trust her. Linda's finally figured out that kindness isn't the same as weakness. None of them are cruel enough to kick her out on the streets, but that doesn't mean they like her or are happy about her presence.

And if they knew Katia was trying to befriend her- either they'd start wondering if Katia is purposefully trying to incite massive drama bombs or, more likely, they'd worry about just how naive Katia is and try to make sure she knows what she's getting into.

Am I misremembering? I thought that as far as Linda naively knew, Trevor, Jon, and Laura knew she was there (in that order) and no one else knew. She never picked up that they were all just pretending to not see her. In fact, wasn't she doing extra chores and basically being Laura's slave to prevent Laura from telling Candi or others and being kicked out? I think this is Linda's aha moment when she realizes what she should have all along. They ALL knew and were not on the verge of kicking her out or anything. Yeah, if she went all out rogue or obnoxious she might have been kicked out but if she slowed down on following Laura's orders she wasn't in any real danger besides a few empty threats from Laura. (Or at least that's how I'm imagining Linda thinking at this point).
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby Sylvanaerie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:08 am

And the oblivious train just keeps on rolling. :roll: Because it contradicts what Katia wants, it isn't part of the equation. Gotta love her! Again, I had the same reaction Linda did.

Looking forward to Linda putting two and two together and figuring out Laura pulled a fast one on her.
Sylvanaerie
Super Skittle

Postby cursormortis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:22 am

I wonder if those last two panels actually were Linda putting two and two together.
cursormortis
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby Longlivetheking » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:53 pm

Oh Katia, sweetheart, no.

She's never met people who hold grudges, has she?
Longlivetheking
Chewy Caramel

Postby g33x0R » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:18 am

+1 Longlivetheking's post.

`Over it' as in; `Rarely, if ever, thinking about Linda's previous drama-bombs'? Absolutely.
`Over it' as in; `Willing to let bygones be bygones, and be friends again'? Uh, no. ;-P

Developing a low regard for someone is a learning process, and once you've learned a certain amount of bad things, it's hard to forget all that -- partly because you'll be closed to new information which, coming from the mouth of a conniving, manipulative little [fitb], might or might not be total bullshit.

Code: Select all
moi@phnx1:~$ fortune -aim 'removing the straw'
(platitudes)
%
Removing the straw that broke the camel's back does
not necessarily allow the camel to walk again.
%

That said, I'm glad Linda's using her powers for good, this time. :-) Hope it helps too, because I like Katia and Thad.

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby Wi1dfire » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:23 am

cursormortis wrote:I wonder if those last two panels actually were Linda putting two and two together.

You know, you might very well be right. Let's see what happens!
Wi1dfire
Chewy Caramel

Postby clif » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:38 am

Oh dear.

Katia, Facepalm. Facepalm, Katia.

Yes, I think Linda gets it. But is she seeing the humor and laughing at herself? Or is the laughter more sinister? What will Katia make of this unexpected reaction? Is this Katia stirring the pot or is this the intro for Linda to stir the pot? Will we get a clue as to which it's to be next time or will we cut to a different scene?

Personally, I'd like to see Linda get a good laugh and go forward having learned something. Storywise? Hey Linda, they were all laughing at you and it must be Candi's fault.

:twisted:

You know, I've known people who were at least something like almost all of the characters. I've never known anyone who was much like Katia. I've known people with empty heads, but that Isn't Katia. She's a fascinating character.

The next conversation between Linda and Laura at work could be interesting.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Tarvok » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:57 pm

BenjaminT wrote:Am I misremembering? I thought that as far as Linda naively knew, Trevor, Jon, and Laura knew she was there (in that order) and no one else knew. She never picked up that they were all just pretending to not see her. In fact, wasn't she doing extra chores and basically being Laura's slave to prevent Laura from telling Candi or others and being kicked out? I think this is Linda's aha moment when she realizes what she should have all along. They ALL knew and were not on the verge of kicking her out or anything. Yeah, if she went all out rogue or obnoxious she might have been kicked out but if she slowed down on following Laura's orders she wasn't in any real danger besides a few empty threats from Laura. (Or at least that's how I'm imagining Linda thinking at this point).

I must have missed something, too. There was a point where only Trevor, Jon, and Laura knew she was there. Laura went and told everyone, but told them not to let Linda know they knew, so she would keep hiding and staying away from everyone. If there came a point at which Linda found out that everyone already knows she was there, I must have forgotten it.

So the impression I get from this is that Linda just found out in today's comic that everyone knows she's there... and finds both that and the fact that Katia let it slip so cluelessly hilarious.
Tarvok
Super Skittle

Postby ShadeTail » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:40 am

Tarvok wrote:I must have missed something, too. There was a point where only Trevor, Jon, and Laura knew she was there. Laura went and told everyone, but told them not to let Linda know they knew, so she would keep hiding and staying away from everyone. If there came a point at which Linda found out that everyone already knows she was there, I must have forgotten it.

So the impression I get from this is that Linda just found out in today's comic that everyone knows she's there... and finds both that and the fact that Katia let it slip so cluelessly hilarious.

Of course, Linda isn't living there anymore. She's moved in with Rebecca while Matt is in Europe. So if she tries to bring it up with Laura, Laura has a pretty iron-clad excuse for why it doesn't matter.

At any rate, I think Linda's laughter is at least as much about the thought that they would have gotten over it by now. She's claimed occasionally that it's useless to try to earn their forgiveness.
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby RDrd » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:22 pm

BenjaminT wrote:Am I misremembering? I thought that as far as Linda naively knew, Trevor, Jon, and Laura knew she was there (in that order) and no one else knew. She never picked up that they were all just pretending to not see her. In fact, wasn't she doing extra chores and basically being Laura's slave to prevent Laura from telling Candi or others and being kicked out? I think this is Linda's aha moment when she realizes what she should have all along. They ALL knew and were not on the verge of kicking her out or anything. Yeah, if she went all out rogue or obnoxious she might have been kicked out but if she slowed down on following Laura's orders she wasn't in any real danger besides a few empty threats from Laura. (Or at least that's how I'm imagining Linda thinking at this point).

Only proves my point. Linda wouldn't assume that everyone else would kick her out if she thought they liked her!

Although, yeah, if she's now realizing they all knew she was there this could be going in an interesting direction. I did think that she found out at some point- but I could be mis-remembering.

But, seriously, Katia, how can you think this? http://candicomics.com/d/20130613.html That's where Laura tells everyone- none of the pages after that suggest that anyone's okay with Linda, beyond Katia.
RDrd
Super Skittle

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion