"Book it to class" (17/6/15)

Talk about the comic

"Book it to class" (17/6/15)

Postby Mew-Universe » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:24 am

Whelp, that's one way to end a not-date and get away from fangirls. At least he saw her off with a proper farewell. :)
"If you truly love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever; if it doesn't, it never was to begin with." - An old proverb.
Mew-Universe
Top-Notch Truffle

Re: "Book it to class" (17/6/15)

Postby Sylvanaerie » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:47 am

OMG this was adorable! Chris can be really disarming when he's being sweet and Candi doesn't have much defense against 'sweet Chris'. At least she recognizes it, even if it is after the fact. Still, flustered and excited Candi made me laugh and brought a smile to my face this morning. Chris might be at times exasperating to her but she is never bored and feels alive (and happy to be so) in his company.

Here, we're getting to watch the process of Candi falling for a guy, something I didn't get to see with Alex, so I tend to dislike him for how badly it ended. Frankly, I kind of wish we could have seen some of the initial stuff (flashbacks just don't do much for a connection for me) which would at least explain to me just why the hell she's still friends with that douchenozzle. With Kat I think her being his friend has more to do with Kat trying to be open and friendly with everyone (she's even making an effort with Linda), but has little to do with any aspect of friendliness on Alex's part. With Candi it seems more a bad habit she can't seem to break.
Sylvanaerie
Super Skittle

Postby SAGG » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:53 am

It appears what Candi feels for Chris, whatever it may be, is restored. Good. Now, does it look to anyone else here that she's holding an umbrella? :lol: I wonder if Starline's subtly hinting at something here...? :?:
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby Attalus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:51 am

Wow, that was so sweet. Thanks, Starline, you brought a smile to my face :D
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
Attalus
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby ailorn » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Candi's enjoying spending time with Chris much to her own chagrin. Oh darn, I guess she has to keep working on her trust issues and learning to like someone /s. :)
ailorn
Chocolate Champion

Postby BenjaminT » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:50 pm

I guess I'm the only one that thought that overall Chris came out looking worse after this encounter. I respect that Candi may be enough twitterpated or simply value different things for her to being even more into Chris after the last few strips but I know that I'd likely still be annoyed. Honestly, if I was in the same situation I would have found Chris's behavior more rude that the two fan girls. Perhaps mainly because I don't really know them I doubt the girls' behavior would bother me assuming Chris politely brushed them off. But Chris's response to them? Yeah, that would bother me.

The closest I've had to a similar situation was times when a waiter has flirted with my date. I think it's happened about 3 times in my life. Twice my dates barely noticed as they were focused on me and our own conversation. While I found the waiter's behavior briefly annoying, it didn't really bother me for long. One time, though, the date I was with seemed to flirt back. It wasn't over the top flirting and it wasn't like she was slipping him her phone number or anything but it still really bothered me. Now I know Chris would insist that this was in no way a date and that he and Candi are just friends but it would still bother me at least somewhat if my friend invited me over, I dropped what I was doing to spend time with them, and then they end up sparkling right up and flirting with someone while I was in the middle of struggling to respond to him/her. What? You're observant enough to notice that something's wrong but when you ask about it you're not observant enough to notice that I was making significant effort to answer before we were interrupted?

And while it's sweet to see Candi happy about it, I don't really see him bringing her drink out to her as particularly special. *shrug*
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby Triple J » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:53 pm

This was really very lovely and sweet, and I think it was very nice and considerate of Chris to give Candi a proper send off like that.

Also, I gotta think that Chris had to be nice to the fangirls, as he's a majour member of the football team, and so has to be on good behaviour and speak for the team, even if the girls were rather rude in just coming up to the table like that.
Triple J
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby ailorn » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:10 pm

BenjaminT: I agree with you that Chris was quite rude to flirt back with the sailor girls. I don't think him bringing Candi her drink was special as a gesture itself. The drink was his nonchalant excuse to run after her without losing face or causing a scene with her or the fans(which gives him a pass for earlier rudeness in my eyes). Some people (like Alex or some of the roommates) might have made an issue of her being upset or leaving abruptly and get defensive, or push her to explain it. It's refreshing that he didn't push her past her comfort zone and just showed he was more interested in her than staying with the fans...

PS: Starline... It looks like Candi is missing her thumb in the last panel on the face palm hand.... Maybe I'm wrong >,<. I love this story-line and art. You're the best. :D
ailorn
Chocolate Champion

Postby BenjaminT » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:04 pm

ailorn wrote:BenjaminT: I agree with you that Chris was quite rude to flirt back with the sailor girls. I don't think him bringing Candi her drink was special as a gesture itself. The drink was his nonchalant excuse to run after her without losing face or causing a scene with her or the fans(which gives him a pass for earlier rudeness in my eyes). Some people (like Alex or some of the roommates) might have made an issue of her being upset or leaving abruptly and get defensive, or push her to explain it. It's refreshing that he didn't push her past her comfort zone and just showed he was more interested in her than staying with the fans...

I agree that he didn't make things worse but don't really consider that as making up for earlier rudeness...it's more like acting like it never happened. While Candi may want that, it doesn't typically fix earlier problems and for most people it can make things worse (particularly if it's a pattern). I'm afraid that that tends to be Chris's M.O. It may very well work for Candi in the short run as she has a big fear of facing many issues but it is more likely to lead to a big explosion down the road. Maybe that won't happen with Candi. I hope not.

PS: Starline... It looks like Candi is missing her thumb in the last panel on the face palm hand.... Maybe I'm wrong >,<. I love this story-line and art. You're the best. :D

It looks to me like her thumb is bent and turned upward more. It gives me a feel of her gripping the cup tighter due to her strong emotions. I like it.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby PaulJones202718 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:59 am

I can get behind her being conflicted on this. She doesn't want to like him for two reasons that are pretty much understandable. One, he doesn't seem to be all that sorry for trolling the tennis team. Second, she's got trust issues out the wazoo.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby ailorn » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:49 pm

BenjaminT wrote:I agree that he didn't make things worse but don't really consider that as making up for earlier rudeness...it's more like acting like it never happened. While Candi may want that, it doesn't typically fix earlier problems and for most people it can make things worse (particularly if it's a pattern). I'm afraid that that tends to be Chris's M.O. It may very well work for Candi in the short run as she has a big fear of facing many issues but it is more likely to lead to a big explosion down the road. Maybe that won't happen with Candi. I hope not.

True. Avoiding and ignoring previous errors is not a good long term solution. Makes for solving problems very difficult.

BenjaminT wrote:It looks to me like her thumb is bent and turned upward more. It gives me a feel of her gripping the cup tighter due to her strong emotions. I like it.
The hand holding the cup is great. The hand on her face looks like it's missing a thumb... left hand when face palming should have a thumb visible... makes it look like she has two right hands.
ailorn
Chocolate Champion

Postby Warrl » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:13 pm

There are several hand problems.

Panel 2: waving with right arm & hand.

Panel 3: right arm & hand holding cup.

Panel 4: facepalming with left arm & right hand.
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Wi1dfire » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:47 am

BenjaminT wrote:The closest I've had to a similar situation was times when a waiter has flirted with my date. I think it's happened about 3 times in my life. Twice my dates barely noticed as they were focused on me and our own conversation. While I found the waiter's behavior briefly annoying, it didn't really bother me for long. One time, though, the date I was with seemed to flirt back. It wasn't over the top flirting and it wasn't like she was slipping him her phone number or anything but it still really bothered me. Now I know Chris would insist that this was in no way a date and that he and Candi are just friends but it would still bother me at least somewhat if my friend invited me over, I dropped what I was doing to spend time with them, and then they end up sparkling right up and flirting with someone while I was in the middle of struggling to respond to him/her. What? You're observant enough to notice that something's wrong but when you ask about it you're not observant enough to notice that I was making significant effort to answer before we were interrupted?

I had a much different response to that situation than you did. While I don't want to say "You're wrong!", because you aren't wrong in the slightest, I do want to offer why I didn't see it the same way. Really, it boils down to two things. 1, Chris flirts with everyone. Everyone female at least. To him, flirting is about as original and meaningful as saying "Good Morning" to a coworker. It is his default icebreaker, and as an icebreaker, it clearly works. 2, adding more people to the conversation might actually take pressure off Candi, since it would no longer be a high-charged one on one conversation, but a group hanging out. In similar situations, I certainly have brought other people into an awkward conversation, to give everyone some breathing room and time to get their emotions back under control. And, as the more outgoing of the two, it would certainly fall on Chris to widen the conversation if he felt that was something that would be a positive.

Now, none of that would apply to a date, like you described. On a date, the only time it wouldn't be rude to flirt with a third party is if you planned on including your date in the flirting, which certainly isn't something that would be for everyone. Not Candi, for one, and I think Chris would know that. But since I think that Chris really doesn't consider this a date, his behavior is not really out of line. Now, Candi's reaction is perfectly appropriate, given the givens, but until she lets Chris know where she's at, it's not really fair to get mad at him for not acting appropriately.

Edit to add: I love Candi in the last panel. I've been there, Candi. Many of us have had that impulse to bang our foreheads into a desk when we realized how strongly we felt about someone.
Wi1dfire
Chewy Caramel

Postby clif » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Warrl wrote:There are several hand problems.

Panel 2: waving with right arm & hand.

Panel 3: right arm & hand holding cup.

Panel 4: facepalming with left arm & right hand.

She switches it from one hand to the other between panels 2 and 3. It's a natural action to switch something to the dominant hand before use or to switch it out of the dominant hand to leave the dominant hand free. You probably do it constantly without thinking about it. Certainly not worth devoting a panel to.

You don't see the thumb in the last panel because it's folded under and hidden from view. Are you imagining it's on the wrong side and stuck up her nose?
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby clif » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Also, cute Candi is cute.

Chris is an attention magnet and a flirt. Candi will have to come to terms with this if she wants a serious relation with Chris. And she does, even if she doesn't want to want it. Fortunately, it seems Chris wants it too.,
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Return to Candi Comics Discussion