"We used to hate you" 7/2/15

Talk about the comic

"We used to hate you" 7/2/15

Postby Sylvanaerie » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:04 am

LOL at least one person did! :lol: That final panel was really cute and gave me a lovely chuckle on a really crappy 'morning after chemo' day, which I badly needed. Thanks and good job on your update today, Starline!
Sylvanaerie
Super Skittle

Re: "We used to hate you" 7/2/15

Postby Tandel » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:22 am

Mmmm, that last line is actually pretty good subtext.

Also we're getting to know a bit more about their past. Excellent.
Tandel
Gum Ball Boss

Postby BenjaminT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:26 am

Interesting. I guess that ball thrown at Alex's head was on purpose (and perhaps not the only instance of intentional aggravation). Maybe Alex has more legitimate reasons to dislike Chris than we'd supposed.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby PaulJones202718 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:17 am

Oh. This explains it. He used to troll the tennis team shamelessly.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby BenjaminT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Yeah, the more I learn about Chris the more I think I probably wouldn't have liked him much in high school either. In college he seems to have mellowed a lot but he still has a bit of the same tendencies. What I can't tell is whether he treats most people the way he's treated Candi or whether his sometimes enjoyment of getting on her nerves is exclusive to her now. Also, are the nicer things he does more just for Candi or is he generally nice to people? He gets interest from the ladies and at least one of them outside Candi seems to be on good terms with him but that doesn't really say a lot about how he is with others.

In college I used to advise female friends to watch not how the guy treats them or even other women but how he treats other men (particularly those he doesn't know). Seeing a guy open the door for you but letting it slam in the face of the guy walking behind you is a bit of an indicator on the type of person he is. His roommate doesn't hate Chris so I guess that's a decent sign.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Oh so that's why she was so annoyed with him. Good thing he's becoming more polite.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Qaint » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:48 pm

BenjaminT wrote:Interesting. I guess that ball thrown at Alex's head was on purpose (and perhaps not the only instance of intentional aggravation). Maybe Alex has more legitimate reasons to dislike Chris than we'd supposed.

That's pure speculation. It is just too farfetched given what has been shown that Chris would want to hurt other people, pride or physical and he hasn't shown anything but indifference at worst to Alex this entire time. Chris is harmless. Even more importantly, he was at that period a comic relief character. Accidents aren't as "fun" as something that seems more overt, so that colors a large part of his earlier actions.

I feel that Chris gets a lot of flak for interacting with other people in a way that some people would find intrusive and unwanted, but that they neglect that these people welcome his friendship and never would have had that friendship if not for the active role Chris played in forming them.
Yes, I'm being a hypocrite. No, you should still calm down, it's valid.
Qaint
Chewy Caramel

Postby Starline » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:34 pm

Super old wallpaper from back in the day
Starline
Comic Creator

Postby BenjaminT » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:32 am

Qaint wrote:
I feel that Chris gets a lot of flak for interacting with other people in a way that some people would find intrusive and unwanted, but that they neglect that these people welcome his friendship and never would have had that friendship if not for the active role Chris played in forming them.

Who are these "other people" you're talking about that welcome his friendship? This sounds a lot more like unfounded speculation to me. He outright admits he was "messing with the tennis team" and he outright admits that he's surprised Candi put up with as much grief as he put her through. So there's evidence that he was intentionally razzing people (though I agree, he likely didn't mean to really HURT anyone) so even without Starline's picture it's not that farfetched to suppose Alex may have gotten some excessive razzing, too. But what evidence do we have that Chris has multiple friends who value his friendship despite it being intrusive at times? Besides Candi, who are his friends? The only one I can think of is possibly his roommate. We've seen a scene or two that indicates that Chris may actually even feel a bit lonely or at least wistful that people liked him more for who he is than for his football stardom.

edited to add: I'm not altogether sure that we even have any evidence that he was friends with Candi in high school. We know he threw her over his shoulder and carried her to class more than once and has long called her by candy nicknames but Candi's first interactions with Chris don't really indicate much of a friendship existed before that I can remember. Maybe someone can correct me with a link if I'm wrong.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Return to Candi Comics Discussion