"Not asking them to make it easy!" (Fri June 26 2015)

Talk about the comic

"Not asking them to make it easy!" (Fri June 26 2015)

Postby ShadeTail » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:17 am

So Chris reveals a bit more discontent. I'm kind of torn on how to feel about it. On the one hand, sure, a hard worker doesn't like being coddled, and he wouldn't be the athlete he is if he weren't a hard worker. On the other hand, he *is* working hard, and it's paying dividends, albeit from a different direction than he apparently wants.

tl;dr: I can understand his feelings, but I'm not sure I sympathize all that much.
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Re: "Not asking them to make it easy!" (Fri June 26 2015)

Postby SAGG » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:32 am

I think what Chris will say will endear him more to Candi--he WANTS to be challenged.... :lol:
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby PaulJones202718 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:33 am

This is guaranteed to baffle her. She doesn't really want to see good things about him because she wants to go on disliking him.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Triple J » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:34 am

Wow, that's pretty good and insightful of him... I think he realizes how short a career football can be if you're hit once in the wrong way, and so wants something to fall back on. It certainly shows a lot more presence of mind of the privilege he has as a football player.
Triple J
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Fereshte » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:46 am

This is why I love Chris. He doesn't want anything handed to him and he understands the importance of a good education. The professors are denying him the challenge and education he wants or feels he needs. It also may be that he doesn't like unfair treatment even if it's in his favor. He's very insightful and I've always loved this side of Chris. He really is my favorite character.
Fereshte
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Attalus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:23 am

New major, Chris? Maybe business or a science?

BTW, Starline, love panel 3! :D
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
Attalus
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby Weltall84 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:27 am

Bit out of left field, but the way Chris phrases "I'm not the one asking them to make it easy!", makes me wonder if perhaps if maybe a parent or faculty member is pressuring his teachers to make his work load easy so he can focus on Football. Parent is self-explanatory as for the why's. As for a faculty member, well if a student from your sports program ends up making it big, it can bring prestige to the school and entice more wannabe sports stars to come to 'your' college to excel.

A far-off theory I'd wager but eh s'who I read into it.
I am the Follower of Optimus Prime, apprentice to the King of Braves GaoGaiGar, member of the Strawhat Pirates, and eternal fan of Fred Perry. I am the UNB!
Weltall84
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby SAGG » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Attalus wrote:New major, Chris? Maybe business or a science?

BTW, Starline, love panel 3! :D

And when I think about it, panel 3 is summing up EXACTLY what Candi may be starting to feel about Chris... :twisted:
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:21 am

So how light is suspiciously light?
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Warrl » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:41 am

I don't remember what Chris is studying, but he's getting decent grades in a nontrivial field that doesn't rely on him lasting long enough in football to be a big name.

He HAS a Plan B, and is well along on it.

(Sorry, I didn't find the relevant comic arc.)
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby SAGG » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:37 am

OH! OH! Maybe "suspiciously light" means that the college is DELIBERATELY making it easy for Chris to pass his classes because, well, he's the QB, and they need him out there on the field to win games?! :shock: Chris perhaps is inferring this, and Candi's picked up on it?! :shock:
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby clif » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:34 pm

SAGG wrote:OH! OH! Maybe "suspiciously light" means that the college is DELIBERATELY making it easy for Chris to pass his classes because, well, he's the QB, and they need him out there on the field to win games?! :shock: Chris perhaps is inferring this, and Candi's picked up on it?! :shock:

I think that's the not-all-that-subtle impllication, yeah.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby clif » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:39 pm

PaulJones202718 wrote:This is guaranteed to baffle her. She doesn't really want to see good things about him because she wants to go on disliking him.

She really doesn't (want to disllike him).
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Sylvanaerie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:10 am

Well, he is there to learn and get a degree. Kind of hard to do if they are dumbing down his classes so he will carry a certain GPA for sports. Considering his opinions on football and his education, I think it's a viable concern.
Sylvanaerie
Super Skittle

Postby BenjaminT » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:22 am

I can't really feel very sorry for him. He's in business administration. This is one of those majors that can be incredibly easy or incredibly challenging, depending on the program. The point of Bus. Admin., Communication, and even majors like Art is that it's not just about how hard the class is. If Candi got an easy A teacher does that mean she can do a half-assed job on all the assignments and expect to succeed? No. Because ultimately it's about her portfolio. Same with Bus. Admin. and Communication. My undergraduate communication degree had easy classes. I supplemented it with some hard coursework for my minor and made sure I kept busy with things that would impressively put what I learn in my classes to use. I helped develop, publicize, and lead a chronic pain support group. I got involved in helping kids at a domestic violence shelter. I created a domestic violence awareness presentation that got used in high schools across the state. I worked on a married students board and organized and led a Marriage Symposium with multiple speakers from professionals in the field.

Sure, I could have gotten by with basic stuff and complained that the coursework was too easy but it'd be my own fault if I didn't get more out of my college career. Not to say that Chris never goes above and beyond. I know he was volunteering with kids for something, for instance. But if he is in any way concerned he's not getting enough out of university, it's up to him to take it a bit further. He could get a minor in organizational communication. He could offer start-ups his knowledge in helping them run better. I'm sure he could probably drum up business for a certain new dance studio in town, for instance. He's in a major where going the extra mile to prove your worth is expected and the norm. He's a junior now so he should have a more solid plan by now of how he's going to do that.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion