"Not asking them to make it easy!" (Fri June 26 2015)

Talk about the comic

Re: "Not asking them to make it easy!" (Fri June 26 2015)

Postby Warrl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:06 pm

There's another thing he could do. Go ask two questions:

1) How many people graduated with bachelor's in Business Administration last year?
2) How many freshmen are there with Business Administration as their major?

If there's a huge divergence between these two numbers - which is often the case at big-name schools in any given major - then the freshman and sophomore years in that major are probably extremely tough because they are TRYING to make a lot of kids drop out or change majors. Once you get to the junior year you've survived the hazing classes and the school has some investment in you... they generally don't push quite as hard, and you get the better instructors. Basically, they aren't trying to make you fail.

This tends to be particularly true at schools with warm-body admission standards, which is the case for many government-run schools, if they become big-name schools in certain fields. The school I went to was a state-run school with a name in engineering and agriculture, and in both those schools the number of freshmen was about three times the number of seniors.

(Going to college? Find out what majors your school is a "big name" in, get the recommended courses of study for freshmen and sophomores in those majors, and avoid those specific courses. And it's very specific. "Calc 101: Introduction to Calculus" and "Calc 301: Introduction to Calculus" are not the same course - the former is how the engineering school persuades freshmen to become schoolteachers, the latter is how the business school gives future managers some advanced math skills. But they cover the same material, and the school of mathematics will NEVER agree that they aren't equivalent.)
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle

Re: "Not asking them to make it easy!" (Fri June 26 2015)

Postby BenjaminT » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Warrl wrote:There's another thing he could do. Go ask two questions:

1) How many people graduated with bachelor's in Business Administration last year?
2) How many freshmen are there with Business Administration as their major?

If there's a huge divergence between these two numbers - which is often the case at big-name schools in any given major - then the freshman and sophomore years in that major are probably extremely tough because they are TRYING to make a lot of kids drop out or change majors. Once you get to the junior year you've survived the hazing classes and the school has some investment in you... they generally don't push quite as hard, and you get the better instructors. Basically, they aren't trying to make you fail.

That'll give him a good idea on how hard his classes are for other people in his major. So it might help him find out if someone is pushing teachers to make it easier for him. But heck, he could probably find that out by asking some of his classmates their opinion on how hard classes have been.

But whether someone's "helping him" or not, he ought to do some things to excel a bit if he's not being challenged at all. I guess it's also possible that sometime during junior/senior year the pace really picks up and starts getting unbearably hard. It's uncommon but I've heard of people who had a pretty easy time of things for a while until they had to do practicum/internships in addition to their regular coursework and then they were suddenly working their butt off night and day. It probably wouldn't hurt for Chris to try talking to his advisor or a trusted professor about his concerns and ask for their advice.

(Going to college? Find out what majors your school is a "big name" in, get the recommended courses of study for freshmen and sophomores in those majors, and avoid those specific courses. And it's very specific. "Calc 101: Introduction to Calculus" and "Calc 301: Introduction to Calculus" are not the same course - the former is how the engineering school persuades freshmen to become schoolteachers, the latter is how the business school gives future managers some advanced math skills. But they cover the same material, and the school of mathematics will NEVER agree that they aren't equivalent.)

I know what you're talking about and generally agree. When I was in school, there was Bio 101 for people who just needed a science class for their generals and then there was Bio 130 for those going into pre-med, nursing, biology, or computer science (that last one just used it as a weed out class). It covered the same material but it greater depth. At my school they did seem to cover a few topics not covered by the other version, though. Same goes for the advanced introductory physics and chemistry courses I had to take. Once I changed majors they still accepted the advanced courses but I wasn't required to have the harder version.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Previous

Return to Candi Comics Discussion