Aw Geez..(06/11/2015)

Talk about the comic

Re: Aw Geez..(06/11/2015)

Postby Mew-Universe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:34 pm

I thought she was just agreeing to go see Chris to get away from Alex... am I wrong?
"If you truly love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever; if it doesn't, it never was to begin with." - An old proverb.
Mew-Universe
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:11 pm

clif wrote:Yay, Candi!

cursormortis wrote:Why is Candi going to meet him? I thought she wanted to not like him, and I would think avoiding him would help more than seeing him. It's not like it would be hard to brush him off, anyways. I understand that she does like him, against her better judgment, as it were, but I'd love to know the thought process that took her from"Grr he's annoying!" to "Sure, let's meet up" in the space of 2 minutes.

You're thinking those are mutually exclusive reactions. Candi is good at hiding her motivations from herself, but she isn't stupid.

Tarvok wrote:Because Candi can't just do something because she wants to. She has to engage in all this internal plausible-deniability doublethink to *trick* herself into going out with someone she really, really likes. If she really didn't want to go out with him, the smart thing would be to just not answer his texts. It would require some persistence, since when she doesn't answer the first one, he's likely to send a second one, and then a third, since this would be a change in her behavior that, in his mind, would require explanation, since he genuinely cares about her, and would likely worry. But really, given she's a terrible liar and "I don't want to see you any more" just wouldn't hold (since she clearly does want to see him), she'll just have to stonewall him.

But she won't, because that isn't what she really wants. What she really wants is [censored] [censored] [censored...]

Overstated in places, but yeah, this too. What your calling double-think is really just normal human behavioural rationalization.

Caliban wrote:Oh, she was never NOT going to meet him.

Truth.

Caliban wrote:It's not so much that she wants to "not like him" as that she's annoyed at herself for liking him. And like him she does.

Also, she really didn't want to answer a text from her new attraction in front of her ex-boyfriend. I think the "Grr..Annoying" was partially for Alex's benefit, to cover up her real reaction, and partially because she's really annoyed at herself for having a reaction to Chris's text in the first place. Having Alex there when she received the text may have also made her accept what she's feeling, since she presumably used to feel the same way about Alex.

She's been telling herself she's better off alone, but now she's getting warm fuzzies and other feelings whenever Chris talks to her or texts her. So she has to take a moment to calm herself down before she can answer his text. :p

I don't think any of that was for Alex's benefit, though Alex's knowing the truth would embarrass her. But otherwise, yeah.

PaulJones202718 wrote:What she really wants is any sort of excuse to go merrily on denying any sort of attraction to him. It's all about saving face, kiddies.

That's all there is to it, huh? And why is there no skeptical smiley icon.

LadyObvious23 wrote:She acts like she's having an affair. XD

What???

Where did that come from?

The panicky not wanting to discuss with someone,behaving sneaky and this was obviously a joke.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby SAGG » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:19 am

Bombshell sudden thought: Chris has been thinking about Candi now in the same way, but just doesn't know it yet... :lol:
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby Qaint » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:49 am

Nah, the big thing in this is probably that Chris has already nestled her deeeeeep in the friendzone as unobtainable/off limits long ago and can't imagine Candi any other way. All because he has depth to him and never tried to get with Candi all this time. And then Candi must struggle with unrequited love till one of them changes their mind about the other.

Candi has no romantic luck, remember? :)
Yes, I'm being a hypocrite. No, you should still calm down, it's valid.
Qaint
Chewy Caramel

Postby ailorn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:26 am

Qaint wrote:Nah, the big thing in this is probably that Chris has already nestled her deeeeeep in the friendzone as unobtainable/off limits long ago and can't imagine Candi any other way. All because he has depth to him and never tried to get with Candi all this time. And then Candi must struggle with unrequited love till one of them changes their mind about the other.

Candi has no romantic luck, remember? :)

Except that perhaps Thad's comment about assuming Chris and Candi have dated might have planted a seed with Chris that maybe Candi could be something besides just a friend.

What I really like about how this is playing out is how natural the progression feels to me. It doesn't seem overly one sided. Neither Chris or Candi are jumping head over heels into making this more than it is than the other.
ailorn
Chocolate Champion

Postby Warrl » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:53 pm

I see it a bit differently.

I think Chris decided that he wanted to go through high school and (at least part of college) fast and loose, and saw that Candi would not be happy with the same course...

... but, at the same time, he might eventually want to settle down, and Candi would be a good person to settle down with.

In other words "she might to turn out to be Miss Right, but I don't want that yet - and she definitely isn't Miss Right Now".

More recently, though, Chris has expressed some boredom with Miss Right Now, and shown that he actually does have an eye on the long view... so maybe it's time to look for Miss Right.
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Triple J » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:44 am

Awww...! I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.
Triple J
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby g33x0R » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:24 am

Despite this recent talking-to-Alex problem, I like where things are going.

• Katia and Thad's hanging out and frank talk about the nature of her jealousy -- cool.
  • Katia hanging out with *Linda* and possibly teaching her a thing or two about being a decent human being -- cool.
  • Candi's ambivalence -- and perseverence -- with things that are a little outside her comfort zone, like Chris and Jon and [you notice it's always *guys* she has mixed feelings about, btw?].
  • Jon and Jess -- has potential.
  • Matt pining for the fjords -- unfortunate, but inevitable.
  • Laura getting an earful of `Girl, I'm worried about you' from good friends who are legitimately worried about her -- probably exactly what she needed to hear.
Anyway, everyone seems to be making progress of some sort.

Sorry, most of that had nothing to do with this particular strip, just catching up on things.

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby clif » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:51 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:... and this was obviously a joke.

Oh. Okay. It's difficult to tell sometimes.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby clif » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:59 am

SAGG wrote:Bombshell sudden thought: Chris has been thinking about Candi now in the same way, but just doesn't know it yet... :lol:

Um, Chris has always been attracted to Candi. Enough that Jess noticed and used Candi as bait. And after his breakup with Jess, Chris has known exactly what he is doing and where he wants to go with this.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby BenjaminT » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:21 am

g33x0R wrote:Candi's ambivalence -- and perseverence -- with things that are a little outside her comfort zone, like Chris and Jon and [you notice it's always *guys* she has mixed feelings about, btw?]..

I think she's developed mixed feelings about Becca, although in a totally different way.

She used to hate Becca but now she has a sort of pseudo-friendship with her. Does Candi know that Linda is staying at Becca's place now? I'd love to see Candi get a good strong healthy relationship with a woman. She gets along with most people, it seems, but nothing very strong or deep. That blonde girl she did a project with would be an interesting friendship to see develop on a deeper level.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby g33x0R » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:01 pm

True, and good point. I guess that didn't occur to me because there wasn't any Candi/Becca stuff in my binge-read to catch up on things, only Becca/Linda stuff [which seemed fairly impersonal and copacetic, just the usual `Here's your room; make sure to pay your rent on time,' kind of thing].

Cheers,
Patrick.
"No human motive is ever entirely pure."
-- William Gibson, `The Winter Market'
g33x0R
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby BenjaminT » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Have we seen Chris this semester yet? Here's to hoping he, too, has some facial hair or a new hairstyle.

[edited to add:]

Dang! There is one frame with him talking on the phone to Candi...and no change in hair. If Chris had changed his look that would have only left Jon as the sole male who hasn't changed which could really make for some good symbolism. Also, a part of me was devilishly hoping that Chris decided to get a beard similar to Alex's and that it would start to freak Candi out because she'd think of Alex every time she looked at Chris's beard. Haha, oh well.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby SAGG » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:28 pm

clif wrote:
SAGG wrote:Bombshell sudden thought: Chris has been thinking about Candi now in the same way, but just doesn't know it yet... :lol:

Um, Chris has always been attracted to Candi. Enough that Jess noticed and used Candi as bait. And after his breakup with Jess, Chris has known exactly what he is doing and where he wants to go with this.

Really? I figured Jess was teasing Candi. Please provide links. I was under the impression he saw Candi as a sort of light female buddy, nothing more...
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby clif » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:41 am

SAGG wrote:
clif wrote:

Really? I figured Jess was teasing Candi. Please provide links. I was under the impression he saw Candi as a sort of light female buddy, nothing more...

I'd need awhile to work my way back through. It may have been during the spring break thing, but I'm not sure.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

PreviousNext

Return to Candi Comics Discussion