Talk about the comic

Yeah, Me Too (1/20/15)

Postby SAGG » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:24 am

Poor Katie. Poor Candi... :(
SAGG
Super Skittle

"Yes I like him"

Postby redneck01 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:35 am

There is also the possibility that she says to Thad "Remember what I said about open relationships. I was wrong. That was not me at all",

and Thad replies "How many ***** have been up you since you said that", even though no ***** have been up her at all, and Thad disappears.

Walking back from an open relationship is apt to be tricky.

Highly attractive male is told "open relationship", hears "threesome"

Somewhat less attractive male is told "open relationship", hears "No sex for you, but threesome for highly attractive male while you get to spend money on me and listen to me talking about how badly the highly attractive male treats me."
redneck01
Junior Mint

Re: Yeah, Me Too (1/20/15)

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:56 am

Well they're young. So they should relax and try to just enjoy. Make mistakes and take risks. That's an awesome thing about being young. You get hurt,learn and move on to cooler shizz.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby UnstoppableTaboo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:08 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Well they're young. So they should relax and try to just enjoy. Make mistakes and take risks. That's an awesome thing about being young. You get hurt,learn and move on to cooler shizz.

It's a nice notion, but I have to say that throughout my entire youth, keeping this idea in mind that young people are "allowed" to make mistakes never actually made me feel better about my mistakes, or make them any less painful. In hindsight, maybe, but at the time of most moments of anxiety/hurt, it doesn't help all that much.
UnstoppableTaboo
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Attalus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:54 am

Poor babies. Yeah, it hurts to be young and trying to persuade yourself into feelings that aren't right for you. *virtual hug*
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
Attalus
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby clif » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:12 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Well they're young. So they should relax and try to just enjoy. Make mistakes and take risks. That's an awesome thing about being young. You get hurt,learn and move on to cooler shizz.

Kind of like a sketchbook, huh?
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby clif » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:37 am

SAGG wrote:Poor Katie. Poor Candi... :(

As long as :( isn't the emoticon for "now kiss" we're all good. ;)

Yes, I know. My mind is a scary thing. And no, this comic is not going there, nor do I want it to, but you have to admit it would be an interesting twist.

I kind of have to wonder if learning about Jon and Jess would put Candi closer to Katie's mind-set. Probably not. The Candi that reacted to Jon's previous girlfriend is not the Candi that exists today.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby PaulJones202718 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:46 am

At least they're honest about their emotions and realize that they themselves have issues to work out. Not all the characters have the burden of self-awareness. I'm looking at you, Alex and Linda.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Re: "Yes I like him"

Postby clif » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:17 pm

redneck01 wrote:Somewhat less attractive male is told "open relationship", hears "No sex for you, but threesome for highly attractive male while you get to spend money on me and listen to me talking about how badly the highly attractive male treats me."

#NotAllWomen :roll:

Jeeze. Gender is irrelevant to this. It doesn't matter which sex you are or which sex they are. There is nothing wrong with spending money and time on another person because you want to, because you enjoy their company, because you enjoy their enjoyment. There is nothing wrong with doing it because you find you care for them. There is plenty wrong with doing it because you think it means they owe you.

If you think you're being taken advantage of, you probably weren't doing it for the right reason.

To paraphrase Jon on another topic, it really isn't that complicated. Yes, I'm reading more into what you said than what you said. Am I wrong?

((Also and fortunately for me there is no universal consensus on "highly attractive."))
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Warrl » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:23 pm

clif wrote:
redneck01 wrote:Somewhat less attractive male is told "open relationship", hears "No sex for you, but threesome for highly attractive male while you get to spend money on me and listen to me talking about how badly the highly attractive male treats me."

Funny you would give that response to a post that says NOTHING about women.
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Kupomi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Warrl wrote:
clif wrote:

Picking up implications sure is tough.
Kupomi
Gum Ball Boss

Postby clif » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:01 pm

Kupomi wrote:
Warrl wrote:

clif wrote:#NotAllWomen :roll:

Picking up implications sure is tough.

Apparently.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby clif » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Warrl wrote:
clif wrote:

I have a bit of stall time so I might as well kill it here.

Yes, exactly. I was being funny, or at least attempting it, before making a serious point. I was making fun of the #NotAllMen hash by both reversing the gender and the sense used. To get to the serious point you have to read the part you didn't quote.

Most English speakers are able to track the gender attribution of pronouns that don't specify gender directly. If you assume that the repeated "me" in the quote from redneck01 refers to redneck01 who is putatively male, then you really aren't tracking meanings. The highly attractive male and less attractive male that redneck01 posits are hearing this from a person, who by analogy with Thad hearing it from Katia (who is female), is also female. And so it's pretty clear that all the me's in the quote refer to a woman. And so the statement is really all about women.

The reason that the hashtag is at all relevant is the hidden implication in what the two males in redneck01's scenario really hear. Why do they hear that? Why because "All women are that way." And hiding not too far behind that are several unpleasant corollaries about how women should be treated.

Did redneck01 actually mean it that way? I don't know. But the implication is there.

In my opinion, the fundamental flaw comes out of implicitly thinking of woman as things instead of people.

Of course people are also things, albeit enormously complicated things, and can be partially and usefully understood as such. But that's another conversation entirely.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Warrl » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm

The board software is making me flatten quotes a bit, so I decided to flatten them completely...

clif wrote:#NotAllWomen :roll:

Warrl wrote:Funny you would give that response to a post that says NOTHING about women.

clif wrote:I have a bit of stall time so I might as well kill it here.

Yes, exactly. I was being funny, or at least attempting it, before making a serious point. I was making fun of the #NotAllMen hash by both reversing the gender and the sense used. To get to the serious point you have to read the part you didn't quote.

Most English speakers are able to track the gender attribution of pronouns that don't specify gender directly. If you assume that the repeated "me" in the quote from redneck01 refers to redneck01 who is putatively male, then you really aren't tracking meanings. The highly attractive male and less attractive male that redneck01 posits are hearing this from a person, who by analogy with Thad hearing it from Katia (who is female), is also female. And so it's pretty clear that all the me's in the quote refer to a woman. And so the statement is really all about women.

Nope. It's about the thoughts that redneck01 attributes to a MALE. Granted, the male is attributing them to females, but they actually are occurring in the male's head. The "me"s in question refer to a woman that exists inside that male's head. Not in that male's reality.

(Well, for some definitions of "actually", "exist", and "reality", given that the male in question is himself a hypothetical character, created by a specific real-world male and based in part on a fictional male character created by a specific real-world female.)

The reason that the hashtag is at all relevant is the hidden implication in what the two males in redneck01's scenario really hear.

Which is not the same as what the one specific (at least equally hypothetical) woman in question really said.
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby clif » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 pm

clif wrote: I was making fun of the #NotAllMen hash by both reversing the gender and the sense used. .

Just in case you've been living in another universe, the #NotAllMen hash is usually used in a sarcastic sense. Ironically, I was using the #NotAllWomen hashtag in in non-sarcastic sense - in the service of a greater sarcasm.

Okay, it was funny to me.

Warrl wrote:
clif wrote:Most English speakers are able to track the gender attribution of pronouns that don't specify gender directly. If you assume that the repeated "me" in the quote from redneck01 refers to redneck01 who is putatively male, then you really aren't tracking meanings. The highly attractive male and less attractive male that redneck01 posits are hearing this from a person, who by analogy with Thad hearing it from Katia (who is female), is also female. And so it's pretty clear that all the me's in the quote refer to a woman. And so the statement is really all about women.

Nope. It's about the thoughts that redneck01 attributes to a MALE. Granted, the male is attributing them to females, but they actually are occurring in the male's head. The "me"s in question refer to a woman that exists inside that male's head. Not in that male's reality.

(Well, for some definitions of "actually", "exist", and "reality", given that the male in question is himself a hypothetical character, created by a specific real-world male and based in part on a fictional male character created by a specific real-world female.)

The reason that the hashtag is at all relevant is the hidden implication in what the two males in redneck01's scenario really hear.

Which is not the same as what the one specific (at least equally hypothetical) woman in question really said.

Well yes, I grant all the hypotheticals and levels of reality, but in context do you really doubt that redneck01 was indirectly making a comment about women?
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion