We'll fix that, 15 January 2015

Talk about the comic

We'll fix that, 15 January 2015

Postby PaulJones202718 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:59 am

Ah....THIS is the problem....He's trying to wean her away from thinking like a high school kid and she doesn't like it.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Re: We'll fix that, 15 January 2015

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:18 am

Or she doesn't think that's artistic? Or it's just meh?
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Weltall84 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:39 am

Again, Fitz is being too damn vague; some people need you to SPELL-IT-OUT-DICKHEAD!!

Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and admittedly I'm no art student but...what was the point? What is he getting at? Try more art styles?
I am the Follower of Optimus Prime, apprentice to the King of Braves GaoGaiGar, member of the Strawhat Pirates, and eternal fan of Fred Perry. I am the UNB!
Weltall84
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby Frankenpepper » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:54 am

I think, mainly, Candi just sees something like that as counter productive. She doesn't see how destroying her own work will help her.

I think he is trying to say to experiment and not be afraid to make mistakes.
Frankenpepper
Chocolate Champion

Postby BenjaminT » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:39 am

PaulJones202718 wrote:Ah....THIS is the problem....He's trying to wean her away from thinking like a high school kid and she doesn't like it.

I think it's less about "high school" and more about OCPD. I agree with Frankenpepper in that Candi needs to experiment more and fear less. Whether it's art or relationships, Candi is afraid of getting it wrong and being hurt. So she makes sure everything is as perfect and "just right" as she possibly can. But, and I'm no artist--so take this with a grain of salt, this can feel pretty manicured. Like a manicured lawn where this tree and that bush are in just the right place as opposed to feeling organic where trees pop up where they pop up and screw the view at times. Back when she was happy with Alex or even when she was willing to say, "screw it" and throw caution to the wind by going way out there and have fun with her peep performance, we got to see her be more random and...artistic. Her fear was less when she was happy and feeling more "secure." And while she had legitimate fear before/during the peep performance, she didn't let that fear rule her...perhaps because it was a group project and she was trying to be there for her peer and letting the grades/embarrassment come what may.

I'm glad Fitz is responding the way he is. While I think he's going to genuinely challenge her and it may hurt at times, I think she could really have fun with this once she moves past the fear and hurt.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby PaulJones202718 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:44 am

BenjaminT wrote:
PaulJones202718 wrote:Ah....THIS is the problem....He's trying to wean her away from thinking like a high school kid and she doesn't like it.

I think it's less about "high school" and more about OCPD. I agree with Frankenpepper in that Candi needs to experiment more and fear less. Whether it's art or relationships, Candi is afraid of getting it wrong and being hurt. So she makes sure everything is as perfect and "just right" as she possibly can. But, and I'm no artist--so take this with a grain of salt, this can feel pretty manicured. Like a manicured lawn where this tree and that bush are in just the right place as opposed to feeling organic where trees pop up where they pop up and screw the view at times. Back when she was happy with Alex or even when she was willing to say, "screw it" and throw caution to the wind by going way out there and have fun with her peep performance, we got to see her be more random and...artistic. Her fear was less when she was happy and feeling more "secure." And while she had legitimate fear before/during the peep performance, she didn't let that fear rule her...perhaps because it was a group project and she was trying to be there for her peer and letting the grades/embarrassment come what may.

I'm glad Fitz is responding the way he is. While I think he's going to genuinely challenge her and it may hurt at times, I think she could really have fun with this once she moves past the fear and hurt.

But you can't live your life being afraid of every little thing because then, you just ain't living. Chris embodies this sort of thinking so is thus not able to be liked because if he is, then her sense becomes gutlessness and that would be terrible.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Weltall84 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:24 am

Now that I'm not tired as hell as when I originally read this, I can see Fitz is trying to get her to be more creative; so benefit of the doubt mode is back on. I got nothing new to add as others have thrown in their two-cents which mirror my own, particularly into Candi's fear of experimentation/lack of controllable order affecting her inability to 'get out there' more, both in art and otherwise.
I am the Follower of Optimus Prime, apprentice to the King of Braves GaoGaiGar, member of the Strawhat Pirates, and eternal fan of Fred Perry. I am the UNB!
Weltall84
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby Attalus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:55 pm

Well, I was too optimistic as usual, but Fitz does seem to be trying to help Candi progress. Image
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
Attalus
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby Amethyst Shadow » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:38 pm

Frankenpepper wrote:I think, mainly, Candi just sees something like that as counter productive. She doesn't see how destroying her own work will help her.

I think he is trying to say to experiment and not be afraid to make mistakes.

Then he should say "Experiment and don't be afraid to make mistakes."

For someone who's supposed to be a teacher, his methods are severely lacking. If you can't relay a lesson to students in a way that let's them actually understand the point/actual topic being taught then you are failing as an educator.

This whole aloof bait-and-switch thing he does is perhaps the worst teaching method possible for the subject he's teaching.

How does he expect his students to give him results along the line of what he is looking for if he doesn't actually tell them what the actual project is?

That's always been my problem with Fitz. He gives vague and loose assignments (understandable for an art class), but then punishes the students for not giving him results that fall in the specific range of ideas he had in mind for the lesson. And then demonstrates taking immense pleasure in the failure of said students to meet his unspoken requirements.

Either keep it loose and more free-form or create assignments with a more specific goal and requirements in mind. But freaking pick one. Mix up between the two between assignments, but freaking pick one or the other for an individual assignment. And if a concept or development idea can be relayed to students in a simple straight-forward manner, then be simple and straight-forward.
Amethyst Shadow
Top-Notch Truffle

Return to Candi Comics Discussion