That Was Fun (1/9/15)

Talk about the comic

Re: That Was Fun (1/9/15)

Postby kelbesque » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:43 pm

I just want to say that that's a pretty big bed for a college dorm! Maybe I should have followed my brother to UF!
kelbesque
Chewy Caramel

Postby ShadeTail » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:42 pm

kelbesque wrote:I just want to say that that's a pretty big bed for a college dorm! Maybe I should have followed my brother to UF!

It's not a dorm. They live in an off-campus house owned and run by a scholarship foundation.

It's still a pretty big bed, though. :)
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby clif » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:31 pm

AntiDragon wrote:I can't believe it, but I'm actually envious of Jon's romantic ability. (Jon, of all people!) Jess is just the sort of girl that my friends and I pine for, (yet never manage to attract) while he manages to seduce her when she wasn't even the girl he was heartsick for, in the course of a few hours! How did he pull it off?!

He didn't seduce her. She seduced him. She took him drinking, got him defensive about Candi, set up the "I'm just stressed," line and sat there and waited for the obvious rejoinder. Look at her eyes in the beat panel after "It's Okay." Compare with Jon's expression in the beat panel after "HAhaha ... Yeah." And then decide who seduced who. Jess is a thinker. She used Candi as bait to reel in Chris. Chris got too serious and she needs a substitute for when she wants a booty call. She just got one. Jon certainly has no room for complaint. For that matter, neither does Candi.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby clif » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:04 am

And this too will cause hardly a blip on Candi and Jon's friendship. Or his feelings about her.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Warrl » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:37 am

Hoigao wrote:She has decided that her brother is a danger and a threat and that he WONT change and so she knows better than to think otherwise. Personally I can't say that it's good or bad

I'll say that, in the specific case of Jess's brother, it isn't bad. It's good or neutral. If he's changed, good for him - and he'll understand why she's not willing to deal with him again any time soon.

In general, though, it can be good or neutral or bad.
Warrl
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Amethyst Shadow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:11 am

AntiDragon wrote:I can't believe it, but I'm actually envious of Jon's romantic ability. (Jon, of all people!) Jess is just the sort of girl that my friends and I pine for, (yet never manage to attract) while he manages to seduce her when she wasn't even the girl he was heartsick for, in the course of a few hours! How did he pull it off?!

Being long-standing friends with her maybe? The two of them being comfortable with each other? The two having at least a mild attraction to one another on at least a physical level? Jess knowing that despite the fact that he may be pining for Candi, that he was still able to have other relationships and i generally a good guy?
Amethyst Shadow
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Amethyst Shadow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:13 am

Amethyst Shadow wrote:

Being long-standing friends with her maybe? The two of them being comfortable with each other? The two having at least a mild attraction to one another on at least a physical level? Jess knowing that despite the fact that he may be pining for Candi, that he was still able to have other relationships and i generally a good guy?

ShadeTail wrote:
kelbesque wrote:I just want to say that that's a pretty big bed for a college dorm! Maybe I should have followed my brother to UF!

It's not a dorm. They live in an off-campus house owned and run by a scholarship foundation.

It's still a pretty big bed, though. :)

They probably got a room somewhere cause, you know. Jon and Jess going at it in the scholarship house would probably be noticed by someone.
Amethyst Shadow
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Lelobebo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:24 am

I can't imagine freshman/sophomore dorm-style beds to be big enough to have two pillows laid side-to-side, let alone two people :P

I also can't imagine not being interrupted by Katia and/or Trevor at any point
Lelobebo
Gum Ball Boss

Postby BenjaminT » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:33 am

Amethyst Shadow wrote:They probably got a room somewhere cause, you know. Jon and Jess going at it in the scholarship house would probably be noticed by someone.

I doubt it. This is just one of those things where you're expected to suspend your disbelief for the sake of the story. You're supposed to see Jess comfortable and turned away but Jon...not so much. That's easier to show on a bigger bed than crammed together on a twin. We've seen this before with Katia and Alex....and possibly Chris and Jess, though I can't remember that one for sure. I doubt they'd waste money on a hotel room. We're either supposed to imagine they could have some significant privacy or we're going to either see someone accidentally walk in or hear the thumping outside the door (though that ship seems to have already sailed).

No offense to Starline but I don't think she gave that much attention to details for minor inconsistencies...and it's totally okay. The bigger bed helps to tell her story and that's good enough for me, even though I agree that it seems unlikely to have a bed that big, dorm or no, when you're sharing the room with another person in another bed (what, do they really fit two queens in the room?).

I remember when I first read the initial comment about the bed size I snarkily thought in my mind, "No, of course Jess just has a standard procedure of putting her bed together with Katia's and quickly throws on some king-sized sheets for just such an emergency" but that doesn't work with the single headboard.
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby Moxley » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:43 am

I was thinking exactly this! I know it's a house, but still, to fit two beds into a room, they're very rarely large beds (unless, I suppose, the room is very large--some acquaintances of mine have two queen beds side by side in their bedroom since they both are fitful sleepers and I guess a king-sized bed wasn't sufficiently large enough; but they don't really have anything else in the bedroom except the beds). Maybe they pooled their funds and got a cheap room somewhere.
Ich bin Wahrheit, ich bin Lüge~
Moxley
Gum Ball Boss

Postby SAGG » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:54 am

The bed doesn't seem too big to me. Just imagine the bed's sides barely off each side of the panels, and it fits. 8-)
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby cursormortis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:02 pm

There's two pillows side by side and two people laying comfortably without touching or hanging off the edge. I would guess that thing is, at very least, a full and more likely a queen. Which is odd, since previous strips showing Jon's bed and Jess' bed in full indicate that they probly are actually twin beds, like most colleges seem to have.

I'm gonna chalk this one up to artistic lisence and Starline not wanting to draw two people intertwined just so they can both fit.
cursormortis
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby clif » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 pm

cursormortis wrote:There's two pillows side by side and two people laying comfortably without touching or hanging off the edge. I would guess that thing is, at very least, a full and more likely a queen. Which is odd, since previous strips showing Jon's bed and Jess' bed in full indicate that they probly are actually twin beds, like most colleges seem to have.

I'm gonna chalk this one up to artistic lisence and Starline not wanting to draw two people intertwined just so they can both fit.

Or they borrowed Katia's bed which has previously been shown to be full size. :-D

http://candicomics.com/d/20120106.html
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Previous

Return to Candi Comics Discussion