I could have a rich uncle, 2 January 2015

Talk about the comic

Re: I could have a rich uncle, 2 January 2015

Postby edward18 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:41 am

He was a little dick who had an asshole father. Deserved it.

Oh fuck off. He was a little kid that was trolling on a message board. That does not warrant someone coming and attacking them in response in real life, especially not when the person is THAT YOUNG.

.......just stop reading this comic then. You're literally making no sense here. -_-

How am I not?
edward18
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby Sylvanaerie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:17 am

Lady Obvious, you can always put him on "Ignore" list (check your profile). Then you only have to click open what you want to see. Unfortunately it doesn't work well when everyone quotes your 'ignored' but *shrug* at least you have the option. He's been on mine for some time now. It's better if someone annoys you don't bait him as it's usually just to get you worked up and aggravated and no one wins a fight on the internet.

FWIW, Starline, I love your comic. Opening up the webpage and seeing an update is one of the brightest spots of my day. I don't always like the animal stuff, and Katia usually annoys me, but no one is going to like everything you do. And that's fine, you should count it a win that people do enjoy different parts of your story, so there is literally something for everyone in "Candi". There is more than enough about your comic that I do enjoy to keep coming back, year after year watching your ageless characters as they struggle through the trials of young adulthood and finding themselves. You have a nice clean style reminiscent of anime without being a carbon copy that I enjoy looking at. And your story is engaging and interesting, you really can tell this is a labour of love and your heart is in it. It shows in every brush stroke and line you put to page. And your ability to demonstrate emotion rarely even needs a word bubble of clarification.

*end rant* As for today's update, I could tell Jon was just being defensive (I read it that way, anyway) :D . And I support his choice to move out. Yes, he will probably need roommates, yes, he may even be just mulling it over in his head. That he wants to is a step in the right direction. College is about learning and growing and coming into your own, changing who you were as a child, and changing those relationships as well. This could be a step in the right direction for him and growing up, and I celebrate that he even wants to try.
Sylvanaerie
Super Skittle

Postby edward18 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:20 am

It's better if someone annoys you don't bait him as it's usually just to get you worked up and aggravated and no one wins a fight on the internet.

It's to discuss what's being talked about.
edward18

Postby Starline » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:28 am

edward18 wrote:Oh don't worry, I doubt your comic would ever be that pleasant to me ^_^

edward18 wrote:I just have it set in my system to check up on it every night along with a few other things. My apologies.

Why the fuck are you so invested in something that you don't think would "ever be that pleasant" to you? Invested enough to be a frequent forum member? Invested enough to cite strips in arguments? It makes NO SENSE.

You aren't doing yourself any favors by reading and posting here.

When other forum members try to engage you in discussion, you always repeat a pattern of:
You: "Jon should never get over Candi. Unrequited loyalty is love."
Other person: "This is problematic."
You: "Why?"
Other person explains why it's problematic.

The rest of your posts consist of complaining that the characters aren't behaving in a way you want them to. I have to tell ya, based on what it seems you want them to act like? They never will. Don't worry, it's not to spite you specifically (you aren't that important). ^_^

So, I've never said this to anyone before but, please remove it from your system and stop reading my comic. Just stop. You are not a welcomed reader/fan.

edward18 wrote:And your art is getting better over the years, that's clear enough. Just...not up to what I'd hope it'd be by now.

Starline
Comic Creator

Postby edward18 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:10 am

Why the fuck are you so invested in something that you don't think would "ever be that pleasant" to you? Invested enough to be a frequent forum member? Invested enough to cite strips in arguments? It makes NO SENSE.

I said THAT pleasant, not JUST pleasant. The comic itself is enjoyable enough. Tickles the mind but doesn't entirely envelope me as much as I'd wish.

Aside from that, why would you want everyone to just be perfectly happy with everything you make? On a forum you have to expect all sorts of views, not Lady's constant praise and adoration from everybody.

You aren't doing yourself any favors by reading and posting here.

I'm giving my views on something I'm invested in in some way as anyone viewing something has a right to, especially on a forum about it.

When other forum members try to engage you in discussion, you always repeat pattern of:
Other person: "This is problematic."
You: "Why?"
Other person explains why it's problematic.

And they as well repeat themselves. We have differing views, simple as that. And not always, only when people talk about Jon in condescending manners, which seems to be the norm around here for some reason. People never question stickin' up for Chris or nothin'.

The rest of your posts consist of complaining that the characters aren't behaving in a way you want them to.

Well no fuckin' shit. That's kinda what people do when they talk about stories they're invested in. Have you never been to a board outside this one?

I have to tell ya, based on what it seems you want them to act like? They never will. Don't worry, it's not to spite you specifically (you aren't that important). ^_^

Don't worry dude, got ya covered in the Thinking of Moving topic:
All in all though, NONE of our thoughts matter. It's Starline's comics and choices. She's the one in charge.

So, I've never said this to anyone before but, please remove it from your system and stop reading my comic. Just stop. You are not a welcomed reader/fan.

You kinda don't dictate that Starline. I've told people here that it might be for the best that I be banned before if I'm that offensive but no one's taken action. Honestly, if you can't handle someone simply having a differing opinion on things then a forum might not be the medium for you. Now this is just a webcomic, but if you were involved in making an actual show or something this kind of attitude would likely cause bigger problems. It would give off a very negative impression towards newcomers that might share those opinions and possibly leave quite a bit of a sour reputation towards you as a forum-manager.

You see, me, I do more than just talk about Jon. You likely don't pay attention to that, notice it, or don't handle the criticism that well. Don't misunderstand. I don't mean to be damaging or whatever. I wanna see you get better. Not in the story aspect, that's all your call. But as a cartoonist. You just don't seem to push yourself that much. And I understand, there's real life and all that crap. That's all well and good and comes first-and-foremost. But...you just don't...try hard enough. The potential's there but you don't push yourself as hard as I think you could. But with how long it's been going on I worry that you're just going to be at a stalemate and be disatisified with a majority of your work in the end when you look it back over, even if you aren't going to admit it. The backgrounds being pretty flat, characters having little-to-no diversity when it comes to design. It just...I just hope you can push past it sometime. Like REALLY focus on making it look REALLY good. Your stuff on deviant art? THAT is the quality that I wish you'd settle for for the comic. Something that you can REALLY be proud of in the end.

But I'll probably just get a "this is for money" or "you expect me to put out that much in a certain time frame with that quality?" or some excuse that is probably justified. In the end though you know all the money in the world isn't gonna make you happier than having the work you pour most of your effort into being as good as it should.

With how people are around here though you likely don't give a damn about any of that. You don't have to put up with some professor judging you on here. That certainly helped in killing Tom Preston's "career". It's the internet. And you have every right to ignore those that you don't wanna hear. Just as they have every right to make the comments that they desire about your work that you decide to put up. Not everyone that comes across you is going to be those gaggle of worshippers who dismissed the "bad webcomics wiki" entry topic simply because "bad grammar lol!". And again, you have every right to ignore those that speak out. Anyone that has a vision does. What matters is that YOU make what YOU want. And I want you to make what YOU want. I'd rather be unable to get on the internet at all if it meant that I'd have influenced someone to do something that they don't want to do. Still allowed to give my opinion however.

edward18

Postby Triple J » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:55 am

I think that Jess is doing a really good job on calling Jon here on his insecurities on not being able to get over Candi in the first place. For starters, she points out how his moving out of a place that is basically free for him is an attempt to get away from and develop without the object of his affections, who he knows, deep down, will never be with him.

It smarts, to Jon, hence his expression in the previous strip, and his lame defense here about possibly having a rich uncle.

Oh, and Edward18? You are an A Class, passive aggressive asshole, hands down. Seriously, the creater and writer herself is down here, and you're dropping comments insulting her. Show a little respect, why don't you?
Triple J
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby edward18 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:00 am

I ain't insulting her. I'm replying to her.

And besides, if it's that much of a problem she can just ban me.
edward18

Postby Fereshte » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:50 am

Edward, your complaints are about her STYLE, not her ability. Her background choices, colors, characters, everything is a stylistic CHOICE. She doesn't have to do more in the background because that isn't the style she wants. I bet she could. I bet she very well could make this look more like Giz's work. But that's not her STYLE. Candi has actually brought this up in the comic itself--Candi also likes a more cartoon like style as opposed to realism. She clashes with her professor on this the same way you're trying to clash with Starline. But in the end, ones work isn't what you want but what SHE (the creator) likes. You wanting more of her ability is pointless--she is not going to give you realism. That doesn't mean she can't but simply that she won't. You demeaning her work based on a style she doesn't do is pointless. An actually, many of is viewers appreciate the background colors--the space and color often denotes certain emotions the character is feeling. The use of space especially is very well done in this comic. You would lose those emotional impacts if the backgrounds were more complex. This comic is not going to suddenly morph into Menage a 3's realism style. It's not what Starline does as a style and you have to respect that. Respect the stylistic choices. If not, fine, but don't complain about it. That's like demanding Ernest Hemingway to start writing about vampires. Not going to happen.

Starline--if I may, I enjoy your comic, both the stylistic choice and the emotional impact we the reader what with the characters. I've gone from once wanting Candi to get Alex back (why?? I don't even know anymore), to hating Linda, to seeing the complexities in characters, to hoping hardcore that Candi and Chris get together, etc. you manage to get us emotionally invested in the characters while also connecting the story to real life and ourselves. I think that's amazing.

And the rainbow "fuck you" cartoon you just posted? Literally the best thing I've seen on the internet all week. And I've been home sick in bed all week so I've seen A LOT of internet. I pretty much spit out my orange juice.
Fereshte
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby BlueRoses » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:53 am

Speaking of Ma3, Edward18 is the exact sort of twat that I would applaud Suzii tracking down and wrecking his home life. Maybe it'd get his unappreciative ass off the computer and doing something productive. Like taking a logic course. Or getting life counseling.

That aside, I enjoy that Jess can take Jon's answer and shred it with common sense in a few sentences. Never change, Jess. Every college house needs a person like you in it. ^_^
BlueRoses
Gum Ball Boss

Postby Lelobebo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:08 am

Triple J wrote:I think that Jess is doing a really good job on calling Jon here on his insecurities on not being able to get over Candi in the first place. For starters, she points out how his moving out of a place that is basically free for him is an attempt to get away from and develop without the object of his affections, who he knows, deep down, will never be with him.

It smarts, to Jon, hence his expression in the previous strip, and his lame defense here about possibly having a rich uncle.

I think Jess is just being unnecessarily caustic in this case. She may raise a point about how the student housing is "free" (I kind of doubt that, it may just be a conditional of accepting the scholarship or something, nothing is ever "free" at university) - but even in that case, are there literally no other student housing options for Jon? Its the Foundation House or GTFO? Regardless, even if she's on point about the money issue and needing to find roommates, bringing up Candi just seems too much of a low blow.

It feels more like Jess is deconstructing any ideas / plans Jon might have to distract herself from the drama within her own family that she "doesn't want to talk about."
Lelobebo
Gum Ball Boss

Postby ailorn » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:21 am

Starline, you rock :)

Trolls are like bad apples that spoil a batch and add nothing of value.

As for today's strip, I love that Jess sees right through Jon and tells it how it is. While she is spot on with Jon, I think she's a bit off about Chris. I'm interested to see how she grows as a person. I think I'd like to see her be warmer and share more of herself but still be very honest and not let people delude themselves.

Lelobebo wrote:I think Jess is just being unnecessarily caustic in this case. ... Regardless, even if she's on point about the money issue and needing to find roommates, bringing up Candi just seems too much of a low blow.

It feels more like Jess is deconstructing any ideas / plans Jon might have to distract herself from the drama within her own family that she "doesn't want to talk about."

I think this is part of where Jess has room for growth and shows she is a complex and flawed character. As much as I respect her tell it how it is, it is overly blunt and critical. I think you hit it on the head with wanting to distract from her own problems. By bringing up Candi she can practically assure that Jon'll get emotional and not talk about her stuff. She's doing herself a disservice because Jon would probably be very helpful or supportive to her if she would open up about her brother.
ailorn
Chocolate Champion

Postby Weltall84 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:27 pm

edward18 wrote:I ain't insulting her. I'm replying to her.

And besides, if it's that much of a problem she can just ban me.

Not a very mature response Edward, and sorry like many others I view your responses especially of late very flippant and not very respectful of Starline and her work. You seriously reply to most chapters in a manner that feels like you are pained to read this comic. If so why? If you don't like it, why do you stick around? I'm trying to be civil here, but like the others I'm reaching my limit of patience, and wow... the fact you actually pissed off Starline like that, kinda pisses me off because that hard working woman gives us this comic for free and you insult her on several levels like some of the others have already zeroed in on, so I don't need to rehash them. That said I think you need to really reevaluate why you're here, especially if you're so flippant you acknowledge your behavior could result in a ban but you don't care to check that attitude.

There's a saying "When one person says you're being a jerk, it's their opinion. When more than one start agreeing with the sentiment, then you might need to start heeding their words". So take that as you will.

On the Menage A'3 issue when Zii when troll hunting... I actually agree that Zii went overboard, but it is a comedy comic, a sexy one but suspense of disbelief is common as heck in that series so one must temper their expectations of realism with the fact it is a story. In a more realistic story Zii would be considered a psychopath, and in my eyes even if the net troll deserved some sort of lesson I was mixed about the end result. That said, if you've got a beef with the sex when..it's a sex-comedy then seriously you need to pay attention to what sort of web-comics you are reading.

To Starline I have this to say: Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate the time you set aside to bring us this delightful comic. You bring us a cast of engaging characters we in the forums love to talk about, and that's a gift. Anyone can create, but only those with talent can create works with impact. It maybe a web-comic but again, within its college life setting you give us slice of life, with dashes of the wonderfully absurd. We have serious issues, plenty of silly moments, and overall your characters feel REAL, and are just fun to see what happens to them at the next update. Seriously you have done a MARVELOUS job of making most of us in your readership want to invest in the characters, see where they go and as the forums clearly show, civilly to hotly debate our opinions, theories and general observations. I could easily meet someone like them off the street, which adds weight to their realism and watching their lives is something I look forward too, that your comic is something I check everyday to see if there's been an update. I've also enjoyed watching your art, seeing you grow and refine your unique and eye-catchy style. As long as you run this comic, consider me here for the long run. ^__^

If I may also add and hope I don't come off as a creep but I also like you, the creator. I follow your tumblr and hearing about your work in L.A. and even the little snippets of everyday life shows me the interesting person behind this comic. Especially with the problems going on in the country it's not easy for many of us to pursue work especially out in hyper-competitive locales like L.A. and thrive, and you also take the time to do art for commission or sale, and bring your readers your wonderful comic. You have my utmost respect Starline, to the tenth power all around, and I hope 2015 treats you well.
I am the Follower of Optimus Prime, apprentice to the King of Braves GaoGaiGar, member of the Strawhat Pirates, and eternal fan of Fred Perry. I am the UNB!
Weltall84
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby kelbesque » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:41 pm

Sorry to go completely sideways in the middle of an argument, but I had trouble parsing the sentence:

"It's not like you aren't going to afford your own place without having roommates in this town...."

It feels like this was meant to either be:
"It's not like you're going to afford your own place without having roommates in this town...." or
"You aren't going to afford your own place without having roommates in this town...."

Is this a regional or dialectal (not dialectical apparently, I had to look that up) double negative that I'm just unfamiliar with?

Edit: It could also be a false start, like, "It's not like--you aren't going to afford your own place without having roommates...." I have a hard time imagining Jess false-starting on that though. Or she could be mixing up words because she's a little drunk already.
kelbesque
Chewy Caramel

Postby Attalus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:01 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:

.......just stop reading this comic then. You're literally making no sense here. -_-
Took the words right off my keyboard. :D

Starline, just so you know, "Candi" is the first webcomic I check every day. "Scary-Go-Round" and its congeners are next, then Girl Genius. I love your drawing and expressions. The only one John Alison does better than you is "sly," see panel four in today's "Bobbins." http://www.scarygoround.com/ (not that your characters have thoughts like Erin does. But who does, anyway?)

Happy New Year and success to you in the year ahead. :D
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
Attalus

Postby edward18 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Maybe it'd get his unappreciative ass off the computer and doing something productive.

Yes, because being the one that takes care of my family when no one else has a job for a year is really unproductive...

Trolls are like bad apples that spoil a batch and add nothing of value.

I don't troll.

Not a very mature response Edward, and sorry like many others I view your responses especially of late very flippant and not very respectful of Starline and her work.

Hey, if she ain't gonna take this seriously why should I not post "wacky "gif" " material right back?

<B>You seriously reply to most chapters in a manner that feels like you are pained to read this comic. If so why? If you don't like it, why do you stick around?</B>
Because I've been following it for quite a few years now?

the fact you actually pissed off Starline like that,

If this comic were as popular as some cartoon, that might be happening a lot more often with a lot more people.

kinda pisses me off because that hard working woman gives us this comic for free and you insult her on several levels like some of the others have already zeroed in on, so I don't need to rehash them.

No, what you guys are doing is SAYING that I'm insulting. I state, in the post itself, that I'm not tryin' to be damaging or anything. I'm not insulting. I'm giving my thoughts.

And ya know who else works hard? Me, and a majority of people in the country. Work at a factory, 5 days a week. Not fun, boring as hell, and I'm likely doomed to live and die in that deathly boring lonely environment. But I still put my best work forward that I can when I put my comics up.

There's a saying "When one person says you're being a jerk, it's their opinion. When more than one start agreeing with the sentiment, then you might need to start heeding their words". So take that as you will.

And then there's a saying that I made up just now that fanboys just protect whatever they like against all reason.

In a more realistic story Zii would be considered a psychopath, and in my eyes even if the net troll deserved some sort of lesson I was mixed about the end result.

I kinda consider her that regardless, as do quite a few people I've come across.

That said, if you've got a beef with the sex when..it's a sex-comedy then seriously you need to pay attention to what sort of web-comics you are reading.

As I said, I don't know what I'm getting into when a webcomic first starts.

Starline, just so you know, "Candi" is the first webcomic I check every day.

It's the second for me.

And Shade, I do not troll -_- everything I say is serious. I'm not being insulting, If you need to ban me, then again, fine. Do so. That's your job. But I am not just going to stay there getting attacked by people that just want to "protect" Starline from criticism.

Look at their reasoning. Like, actually look at the stuff that's been said. Read everyone's posts and understand them, MINE included. Don't just chalk it up to "oh, it's that guy again. Causing trouble again.". I mean, I know no one here'll listen to me, but I would appreciate it if you all weren't just trying to rush to Starline's aid without a second thought.
edward18

PreviousNext

Return to Candi Comics Discussion