Talk about the comic

Hit It and Quit It 12/18/2014

Postby edward18 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 am

Or just don't do it at all.
edward18
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

You don't know that.....maybe: 18 December 2014

Postby PaulJones202718 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 am

If she was trying to guide their destinies towards one another, Jess couldn't have done a better job. Candi's going to do this just to prove her wrong.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Re: You don't know that.....maybe: 18 December 2014

Postby edward18 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:54 am

just getting more painful
edward18

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:43 am

He wanted to be steadyish with her and she broke his heart. :/ She's a little judgmental about how Chris actually is.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby the nightfly » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:09 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:He wanted to be steadyish with her and she broke his heart. :/ She's a little judgmental about how Chris actually is.

Yep…projection much?
the nightfly
Chocolate Champion

Postby James Rye » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:42 am

Well, how many women had Chris before her? Quite a lot from what I remember so I can see why she tried to avoid getting steady with Chris and ended it when it became too serious to avoid getting hurt. Doesn't have to work the same with Candi ofc, but who really knows?
James Rye
Chocolate Champion

Postby oenone » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 am

Plus, he did move on from Jess kinda quickly -- it seemed like ages because of the comic's pacing, but they were FWB a semester and a summer, he wanted to get more serious in the fall, she declined, and then he started pursuing Candi. There's nothing unethical about the timeline itself but I could see Jess arguing that the speed with which he moved on to liking Candi reflects his general attitude towards sex and relationships.
I'm Maria at http://www.thehathorlegacy.com.

My icon was made by the lovely nerd_herd_icons :)
oenone
Top-Notch Truffle

Re: Hit It and Quit It 12/18/2014

Postby Fereshte » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:11 am

I'm glad that Candi is seeing a bit more clearly than Jess. Jess is being terribly unfair and judgmental due to her own trust issues. Where as I once thought Jess was the most together character, I now see her trust issues make her terribly unreliable when it comes to other character relationships with her.

As for Candi, yes! Give Chris the benefit of a doubt! Give him a chance! So excited.
Fereshte
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Attalus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:34 am

Fereshte wrote:I'm glad that Candi is seeing a bit more clearly than Jess. Jess is being terribly unfair and judgmental due to her own trust issues. Where as I once thought Jess was the most together character, I now see her trust issues make her terribly unreliable when it comes to other character relationships with her.

As for Candi, yes! Give Chris the benefit of a doubt! Give him a chance! So excited.
Juss is the least stable of any of the regular characters, IMHO. She lives in an alienated world where no true human contact is possible or desirable.
And as for Candi, yeah, baby, go for it! :D
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
Attalus

Postby raoullefere » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:40 am

So: is this foreshadowing? Is Chris about to give up his womanizing, love-em-and-leave-em ways for our Candi? Is he a Lovable Rogue http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... vableRogue

Really, I think Starline is setting us up for a Heel-Face Revolving Door http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... olvingDoor , and Candi will once again Learn a Lesson. Then again, how much sadder and wiser is Candi going to have to get?
raoullefere
Cool Gummi Bear

Postby Weltall84 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Been awhile since I posted, RL situations can do that to ya. Plus I had to take a break from webcomic forums for awhile, some just drained me from the fandumbs (not this forum. out of all of them the civility here is refreshing).

I'm leaning 50/50. On the one hand I do see a lot of Jess's remark and her attitude is projecting her own beliefs on not just Chris but relationships as well. Remember this woman is VERY jaded and actually snarked at the idea of 'dating' Chris so much as getting a booty call, an on/off one. Realistically this was smart given Chris likes to play the field, and self-admittedly so.

On the other hand, it looked like Chris was trying to get serious for a period and she shut him down without even giving him a shot. Her choice and she was well within her right to do so mind you, and Chris seemed to accept it very well. As for him getting over it quick; well I dunno if the comic has shown such a thing, and even if Chris seemingly did get over it fast we haven't had a good look at his own internal thoughts to really see if he had any hang ups or he's just that good at getting over rejection. He may have gotten over it quick because he rationalized moping over it wouldn't get him anywhere, and if his current lifestyle suited him, then as long as he's not a scumbag who cares? Not everyone dwells on being turned down or a crush not being reciprocated.

As for him pursuing Candi, I haven't see him treat her any different than he has before. Candi seems to be the one hung up on Chris being appealing and having fantasies about him.

So bottom line; Jess's advice isn't unfounded but also ultimately jaded by her own 'look out for yourself' mentality even if said mentality has been softened, she still has trust issues. So I don't think less of Jess, but I believe Candi could go for a less bias source of advice.
I am the Follower of Optimus Prime, apprentice to the King of Braves GaoGaiGar, member of the Strawhat Pirates, and eternal fan of Fred Perry. I am the UNB!
Weltall84
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby clif » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:07 pm

And I'm going to say that Jess is being completely reasonable here. Chris has a pattern of behavior. That isn't to say he can't alter that pattern, but absent additional information that just isn't the way to bet.

Candi being optimistic but very cautious with Chris, with early talks about what they want in a relationship, is an extraordinarily good idea.

But a simple date to hang out doesn't require all that.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby cjg313 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Chris might have gotten that rep though because none of the women he's been with wanted anything more thn just a hit it or quit it. If I'm not mistaken, he was interested in seein Jess more but she was the one who nixed that. Yeah she said it was before he could drop her but who said he was going to. I think just like Candoi did earlier people think he's a jock so all he is capable of being is a man-whore, when he's more than likely more than that.
cjg313
Quality Jelly Bean

Postby Weltall84 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 am

cjg313 wrote:Chris might have gotten that rep though because none of the women he's been with wanted anything more thn just a hit it or quit it. If I'm not mistaken, he was interested in seein Jess more but she was the one who nixed that. Yeah she said it was before he could drop her but who said he was going to. I think just like Candoi did earlier people think he's a jock so all he is capable of being is a man-whore, when he's more than likely more than that.

I believe Chris himself said he's open with the women with how much he wants from their encounters. So I can guess it's a two-way street. so it is reasonable to assume the women he was with were fine with mere one time or occasional booty call romp. So while Chris's rep isn't unearned, it seems he did want to try to have 'more' than just an on/off thing with Jess, but she decided to nix it before it had a chance to become more. In a way this is where Jess still has her jaded view of the world that keeps her from having a deeply committed relationship. She herself doesn't feel she can have them between her trust issues and also viewing most everyone in the world is out for something or willing to screw her; so she plays the game and cuts the strings on her own terms. She could have tried to have Chris to herself and work on something more, but she didn't want it because either she got what she wanted or she was too afraid/jaded to take his offer seriously.

So as I said in the other thread while there is some legitimacy to Jess's words they're also from her jaded viewpoint which probably isn't the best source. She obviously didn't get to know Chris very well, and misjudged him as Candi did, thinking the jock-man-whore thing is all he is when the boy has hidden layers.

I will concede we don't know if their interactions allowed for Jess to learn this, but again if Jess really wanted to know Chris beyond being a good booty call, she had plenty of time and obviously didn't scratch much of the surface.

Not knocking Jess, just my opinion here on how her advice/viewpoint to Candi is... well despite her association with Chris herself is NOT the most reliable even if some aspects ring true.
I am the Follower of Optimus Prime, apprentice to the King of Braves GaoGaiGar, member of the Strawhat Pirates, and eternal fan of Fred Perry. I am the UNB!
Weltall84
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby edward18 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Or she viewed Chris as just someone that wanted sex and has nothing to do with the whole "trust" issues for everyone.
edward18

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion