Hmm hrm, 15 December 2014

Talk about the comic

Hmm hrm, 15 December 2014

Postby PaulJones202718 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:12 am

Jess:
On the one hand, I'm sort of grateful she didn't turn into a crazy person. On the other, I'm not grateful that she's as superficial as Candi can get. She's supposed to be so wise but still allows a reputation to do her thinking for her.

Candi:
Call her Cleopatra, everybody, 'cause she's the queen of denial.
This is the moment, the very instant, that we've all been waiting for/ No stupid gimmicks or Halloween tricks/ Let's get together and number our sores.
PaulJones202718
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Re: Hmm hrm, 15 December 2014

Postby edward18 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:29 am

Well, why would Jess think otherwise? Chris sleeps around. I can't see it ending well at all if Candi gets together with him. Might end up worse than when she was with her last boyfriend.
edward18
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:28 am

Seriously dude? She knows he hasn't wanted a serious relationship yet or doesn't plan on one. Quit with the sex shaming stuff. -_-

Also I doubt Candi's romantically interested. She might be platonically crushing on him. Ya never know.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Prestwick » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:15 am

A rational yet judgemental response from Jess. I think Jess would be as shocked as Candi was if she spent a bit more time with Chris.

Still though, Jess reacting pretty much in line with expectations: as a friend and as the voice of reason.

I honestly think there was absolutely no chance of Jess getting angry, jealous or mad about this. I'm still not sure where the basis for that kind of thinking even came from...
Prestwick
Gum Ball Boss

Postby BenjaminT » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 am

Prestwick wrote:I honestly think there was absolutely no chance of Jess getting angry, jealous or mad about this. I'm still not sure where the basis for that kind of thinking even came from...

The thing about Jess is that while she may be the most mature "got it together" person in the house she may also be the most vulnerable "about to lose it" deep down as well. So she can go from, "I hate physical contact. No Hugs! Get away from me!" to "I need hugs! Get back here! I'm going to get you!" in an instant. So while she may act like she needs nobody and doesn't want to get close to anybody there is that lingering possibility that deep down she really does and she may actually be self-aware enough to eventually realize it. That doesn't necessarily mean that she deep down loves or needs Chris in particular. It's just that it seems very possible that sooner or later she's going to meet a guy that she claims she doesn't want to get serious with but later realizes she wants more than she ever thought. Could that be Chris? Not very likely, but possible. And in a strip like this, not very likely but possible is the kind of thing Starline tends to surprise us with. ;)
BenjaminT
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby SAGG » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:01 am

Prestwick wrote:A rational yet judgemental response from Jess. I think Jess would be as shocked as Candi was if she spent a bit more time with Chris.

Still though, Jess reacting pretty much in line with expectations: as a friend and as the voice of reason.

I honestly think there was absolutely no chance of Jess getting angry, jealous or mad about this. I'm still not sure where the basis for that kind of thinking even came from...

Well, when I apparently brought up the jealousy angle in the previous thread first, it was followed by :lol: , so I really wasn't serious. Jess IS behaving like the way she usually does, though I don't know if Candi wants to go as far as having sex with him (eventually). However, in Chris's defense, the boy seems to have his future well thought out, which in turn impressed Candi enough to look in his direction. Does this mean Chris of all people could be The One for her? Well, no, but possibly liking a guy who actually surprises you by thinking isn't all that bad for a possible love interest. Besides, well-meaning Jess isn't really all that much different than Chris by her treating sex as a casual thing, in my opinion, by her remark...
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby Fereshte » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:08 am

Did Jess completely forget that Chris wanted an actual relationship with her? He's proven he's not all sex and games so this is a whole lot of judgemental from her. For all she knows, that step means that he's ready for relationships instead of just casual sex. (Maybe not, we don't really know but it's a possiblity). It's like she's completely forgotten that part of their hook up, which is unfair to Chris. Unless she thinks she's the only one Chris would want for a relationship, which would be just arrogant. Frankly, I'm disappointed a bit in Jess.

Candi is acting as expected, of course. In denial.
Fereshte
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby SAGG » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40 am

Fereshte wrote:Did Jess completely forget that Chris wanted an actual relationship with her? He's proven he's not all sex and games so this is a whole lot of judgemental from her. For all she knows, that step means that he's ready for relationships instead of just casual sex. (Maybe not, we don't really know but it's a possiblity). It's like she's completely forgotten that part of their hook up, which is unfair to Chris. Unless she thinks she's the only one Chris would want for a relationship, which would be just arrogant. Frankly, I'm disappointed a bit in Jess.

Candi is acting as expected, of course. In denial.

Oh, man, Jess DID turn down the chance for a possible relationship offer from Chris, didn't she? :o Could it be the boy wants some stability now?
SAGG
Super Skittle

Postby Starline » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:32 am

Fereshte wrote:Did Jess completely forget that Chris wanted an actual relationship with her? He's proven he's not all sex and games so this is a whole lot of judgemental from her. For all she knows, that step means that he's ready for relationships instead of just casual sex. (Maybe not, we don't really know but it's a possiblity). It's like she's completely forgotten that part of their hook up, which is unfair to Chris. Unless she thinks she's the only one Chris would want for a relationship, which would be just arrogant. Frankly, I'm disappointed a bit in Jess.

Jess didn't forget. She just didn't believe Chris' intentions, or that he could stay committed very long. So she didn't want to take the risk.
Starline
Comic Creator

Postby clif » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:02 am

Starline wrote:

Jess didn't forget. She just didn't believe Chris' intentions, or that he could stay committed very long. So she didn't want to take the risk.

Hm. So now she sees Candi, who takes her relationships seriously, drifting towards taking the risk she wasn't willing to take. A "girl, what are you thinking?" moment seems very natural.
clif
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Attalus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:32 am

Pretty much what I would expect from Juss. Go for it, Candi! :D
There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid!
Attalus

Postby edward18 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Yeah, why the hell would you think Jess would think Chris was serious? With who he is she'd likely just think he just wanted to bang her again.
edward18

Postby cursormortis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Normally I can follow your thought process, even if I disagree, but this has me thrown for a loop. Are you seriously arguing that Jess thinks Chris is flirting with Candi so that he can get back into Jess' pants? Because that makes no sense at all.
cursormortis

Postby shadowfey » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:06 am

cursormortis wrote:Normally I can follow your thought process, even if I disagree, but this has me thrown for a loop. Are you seriously arguing that Jess thinks Chris is flirting with Candi so that he can get back into Jess' pants? Because that makes no sense at all.

To be fair, in this case, I think he means, why would Jess have taken Chris seriously about wanting a relationship - thinking that Chris was trying to just make sure to keep Jess around for sex. That said, I disagree with this line of thinking; he was already getting casual sex from Jess when he and she both wanted it, so there was no need for him to try to get her to stick around for that by offering a relationship.

I think in this case, while I can see where Jess is coming from, she actually is selling Chris short as a person, because /she/ has always persisted in seeing him and using him as a sex object rather than as a human being. Candi has the advantage of Jess here in actually seeing him as something other than a sex object (or object of football-based hero worship); as someone with plans and dreams and goals of his own, not all of which revolve around sport or sex.

Whether or not that makes him a good match for her is a separate issue.
shadowfey
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby SolitareLee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 pm

I really don't think Jess was "using Chris as a sex object" although she definitely was fetishizing his football career a little bit. xDDD Or maybe she just likes his abs. Who knows. But I do think "sex object" is a little strong. I mean, Chris is pretty into the casual sex thing too... Didn't he once try to get Candi to have a threesome with him? And when Jess made it clear she wasn't looking for more than some NSA sex, he didn't seem that terribly bummed about the situation.

Plus there's a whole realm BETWEEN friends with benefits and monogamous relationship that people seem to be ignoring... Maybe Chris did want a relationship with Jess, but with the understanding that it would be an open relationship. Just because he wanted to maybe be more than friends, or see her more outside of banging, doesn't mean he was wanting to commit to a mono relationship either. And if that was the case, I can definitely see where Jess is coming from even more so. I've run into the "WELL I NEVER MENTIONED WE WOULD BE MONOGAMOUS WHEN I ASKED YOU TO BE MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER" trap of nonsense more than once, and if I was Jess I wouldn't want to see that happen to Candi.
SolitareLee
Chocolate Champion

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion