Jon and Candi???

Talk about the comic

Jon and Candi???

Postby MagicalScientistD » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 pm

This may be something that was discussed in the old forum, but I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the idea of Candi and Jon being together in the future. We all know he likes her, but is that something you would like to see in Candi's future. Frankly, I think the best guy friend (or girl friend) falling for the girl is a little cliche. I would like to see Candi with a new guy, someone outside of the group entirely, when she is over Alex and fully healed.. Just wondering what everyone thinks.
Im a grown child... Image
MagicalScientistD
Cool Gummi Bear

Re: Jon and Candi???

Postby ShadeTail » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:28 pm

Candi has actually fantasized about Jon once or twice, so his feelings may not be unrequited. But even if she does feel that way, I can't see her acting on those feelings any time soon. For one thing, she seems to be in denial about it. For another, she's not the type to make a play for Jon while he's dating someone else, regardless of her own feelings for him.

They could realistically end up together in the long term, I guess, but as things stand, not in the short term.
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby TheDWrek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:30 pm

ShadeTail wrote:Candi has actually fantasized about Jon once or twice, so his feelings may not be unrequited. But even if she does feel that way, I can't see her acting on those feelings any time soon. For one thing, she seems to be in denial about it. For another, she's not the type to make a play for Jon while he's dating someone else, regardless of her own feelings for him.

They could realistically end up together in the long term, I guess, but as things stand, not in the short term.

I totally agree with Shade on this one. I would love to see it happen, but it just doesn't look like it's in the cards at the moment. Someone outside of the characters that have already been introduced would be interesting though.
TheDWrek
Chewy Caramel

Postby WhizbangBlack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:24 am

It might be a case where Jon built "what would it be like to date Candi" scenerio so much in his head that they might not have that successful of a relationship. Plus it's not easy to go from friends to a couple. But I agree with everyone else when they say that Candi might have imagined it, most likely won't act on it.
---
"Baby, can you dig your man? He's a righteous man! Tell me baby, can you dig your man?" (The Stand, Stephen King)
"We're MEN! MANLY MEN! We're men in tights - YES!" (Robin Hood: Men In Tights)
WhizbangBlack
Chocolate Champion

Postby packy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:50 am

Personally, I think Jon and Candi would make a lovely couple. Candi would learn what it's like to have a real guy as a boyfriend. Unfortunately, though, I don't think it would last forever. They're just too good as friends. :|
packy
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby ShadeTail » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:48 am

Just to clarify, I *don't* particularly want them to get together. It could happen, but I'm not convinced that it even should, let alone will.

Plus, Starline wrote somewhere, in the old forum I think, that Candi and Jon dated once in high school, and Candi decided she really didn't want a relationship with him. I'm not sure Candi would go back on that. Anyway, it is pretty rare to end up married to someone you knew and dated even in the first year of college, let alone back in high school.
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby MagicalScientistD » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:43 pm

WhizbangBlack wrote:It might be a case where Jon built "what would it be like to date Candi" scenerio so much in his head that they might not have that successful of a relationship. Plus it's not easy to go from friends to a couple. But I agree with everyone else when they say that Candi might have imagined it, most likely won't act on it.

Intersting point, that is possible. I had a relationship that went like that. We were friends and he romanticized it so much, he ended up feeling differently about me once we actually got together. (which was sad for me) I also like Shadetail's point about Candi maybe having feelings for Jon. Interesting...
Im a grown child... Image
MagicalScientistD
Cool Gummi Bear

Postby Codefox » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:37 pm

I don't see it happening either. Candi has been pretty firm in her stance that Jon is just a friend.

She's been pretty obvious about it too. Really there's nothing she can do but ignore it which is what makes it even seem possible. It's not. (Been where Candi is...)
Codefox
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby Darkmeadow » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:57 am

Codefox wrote:I don't see it happening either. Candi has been pretty firm in her stance that Jon is just a friend.

She's been pretty obvious about it too. Really there's nothing she can do but ignore it which is what makes it even seem possible. It's not. (Been where Candi is...)

Been there too...

ShadeTail wrote:Candi has actually fantasized about Jon once or twice, so his feelings may not be unrequited. But even if she does feel that way, I can't see her acting on those feelings any time soon. For one thing, she seems to be in denial about it. For another, she's not the type to make a play for Jon while he's dating someone else, regardless of her own feelings for him.

I'm sorry but I don't agree...having been in the spot where one of your guys friends likes you publicly, You can't help but wonder once or twice what it'd be like to give in and date them... especially when they're not half-bad looking, treat you with respect, give you a shoulder to cry on, and make it clear how much they like you for yourself. Like I said...been there and in the end I had to say, "I can't change what we have."

packy wrote:Personally, I think Jon and Candi would make a lovely couple. Candi would learn what it's like to have a real guy as a boyfriend. Unfortunately, though, I don't think it would last forever. They're just too good as friends. :|

Well put...I don't have anything against this pairing... But as a girl who has stood in Candi's shoes on this...I don't think her feelings for him will ever bloom.
In the end of all things...
I look at what I learned...
And stand firm in that knowledge...
Darkmeadow
Chewy Caramel

Postby packy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:28 am

Darkmeadow wrote:Well put...I don't have anything against this pairing... But as a girl who has stood in Candi's shoes on this...I don't think her feelings for him will ever bloom.

Well, I just keep in mind that the comic is pseudo-autobiographical. In real life, Candi and Jon did wind up dating eventually (and, my, how sparks flew!), only to end (seemingly amicably) later on. Of course, that's still many years away in comic time, and events are departing more from their real-life basis more and more as the comic goes on.

All except the squirrel mafia. That's all 100% true. ;)
packy
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby Kish » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:28 am

Considering Jon's borderline obsession with Candi, I would expect them as a couple to turn out much worse than Candi and Alex.

But it's a webcomic, not real life, and we'll see.
Kish
Gum Ball Boss

Postby ShadeTail » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:25 pm

Darkmeadow wrote:I'm sorry but I don't agree...having been in the spot where one of your guys friends likes you publicly, You can't help but wonder once or twice what it'd be like to give in and date them... especially when they're not half-bad looking, treat you with respect, give you a shoulder to cry on, and make it clear how much they like you for yourself. Like I said...been there and in the end I had to say, "I can't change what we have."

I'm not saying it *will* happen, I'm saying that it *could* happen. And considering how confused and inexperienced Candi is, it isn't as unrealistic as it may sound.

But I think it is pretty unlikely. And I have major doubts that it would work out very well even if it did happen.
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby Innes » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Absolutely not.

I think Jon and Candi would make a terrible couple. Frankly, Candi needs someone just as free-spirited as she is and theres no one in the house( except maybe Laura and shes a girl) that fits that description.

IMO itll be someone who appreciates her art and is genuinely attracted to who candi is going to be, not who she was( in the case of Jon)
Innes
Junior Mint

Postby Perdita » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:09 am

Speaking as someone who is a lot like Candi - Jon would be terrible for her. He'd never be able to say no to her, and he'd become a doormat in no time. Candi needs someone who can say "no" and be grounded, but at the same time be appreciative of the free spirit/artistic personality. Chris would fit the bill better, but I think Candi needs to be single for a while or date casually so she can find herself.
Perdita
Quality Jelly Bean

Postby WhizbangBlack » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:24 am

Quite possibly, Candi needs to date outside her circle of friends and that's why I think Chris would be way better for her than Jon.
---
"Baby, can you dig your man? He's a righteous man! Tell me baby, can you dig your man?" (The Stand, Stephen King)
"We're MEN! MANLY MEN! We're men in tights - YES!" (Robin Hood: Men In Tights)
WhizbangBlack
Chocolate Champion

Next

Return to Candi Comics Discussion