8%
Alex: Thumbs up. Linda: Neutral
No votes
Alex: Thumbs up. Linda: Thumbs up.
8%

Total votes : 24

Factions?

Postby Tarvok » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Two characters, six possible combinations. Pick one. I'm just wondering if sympathy for Alex and sympathy for Linda tend to be incompatible.
Tarvok
Super Skittle

Re: Factions?

Postby miznic » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 am

Alex can be a tactless dick - but he seems to have something in the right place (his head? his heart?... no idea, waiting to see how the storyline develops). Linda? Well, what goes around comes around...
Dr Seuss would have been the greatest rapper of all time.
miznic
Gum Ball Boss

Postby Codefox » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:38 am

Nah, I gotta give Alex the thumbs down. Even if he thinks he means well that doesn't matter if he's still a jerk.
Codefox
Superior Sugar Cane

Postby ShadeTail » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 am

Codefox wrote:Nah, I gotta give Alex the thumbs down. Even if he thinks he means well that doesn't matter if he's still a jerk.

I completely agree, but I still give him neutral. I've said this elsewhere, but I don't think he's really a villain; he's an amoral dickhead. Linda, by contrast, is an *immoral* bitch. Alex has caused a lot of damage, and he's certainly responsible for everything he's done. But morally, he's still better than Linda, who knowingly and purposefully set out to steal Candi's boyfriend. Being naively misguided is, in my view, a step above being a self-serving backstabber.

That said, Alex has a lot of growing up to do, and I don't see him doing it.
ShadeTail
Glucose Sucrose Fructose

Postby WhizbangBlack » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Alex lives in his own little world that is run by his own little rules and he can do no wrong. God forbid anyone call him out on breaking his own rules. He belittles the people around him because he can't emotionally connect with anyone and has very little empathy. Any emotional growth he could possibly achieve is a situation where he is in a position to actually identify with someone who is in pain or is in pain himself. Although I'm not in favor of people getting hurt, emotionally or physically, I believe it will do him some good and redeam his character if it's for the long run.

Linda knows the difference between right and wrong, she knows social rules and what is considered proper. She either doesn't care or deludes herself into thinking that breaking these rules profits everyone in the end in a positive way. Then she acts surprised and victimized when her actions backlash and achieve negative results. Nothing short of a harsh wake up call will shake her out of the fantasy world she lives in.

They both get a thumbs down from me based on their current and past behavior.
---
"Baby, can you dig your man? He's a righteous man! Tell me baby, can you dig your man?" (The Stand, Stephen King)
"We're MEN! MANLY MEN! We're men in tights - YES!" (Robin Hood: Men In Tights)
WhizbangBlack
Chocolate Champion

Postby tcorbett » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 pm

ShadeTail wrote:
Codefox wrote:Nah, I gotta give Alex the thumbs down. Even if he thinks he means well that doesn't matter if he's still a jerk.

I completely agree, but I still give him neutral. I've said this elsewhere, but I don't think he's really a villain; he's an amoral dickhead. Linda, by contrast, is an *immoral* bitch. Alex has caused a lot of damage, and he's certainly responsible for everything he's done. But morally, he's still better than Linda, who knowingly and purposefully set out to steal Candi's boyfriend. Being naively misguided is, in my view, a step above being a self-serving backstabber.

That said, Alex has a lot of growing up to do, and I don't see him doing it.

I have to agree. I never really liked Alex, but he didn't purposely go out to hurt Candi like Linda did. In fact, I'd love to see what would happen if he ever found out the truth. Probably, he'd dump Linda as well and find someone else.
tcorbett
Quality Jelly Bean

Postby Tarvok » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:50 pm

lol, I'd LOVE to see comments from the two who gave a thumbs up to both Alex and Linda. It would be interesting.
Tarvok
Super Skittle

Postby tinyapple » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 pm

Tarvok wrote:lol, I'd LOVE to see comments from the two who gave a thumbs up to both Alex and Linda. It would be interesting.

I'm interested to hear their reasons too.
tinyapple
Cool Gummi Bear

Postby ravenstar84 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Tarvok wrote:lol, I'd LOVE to see comments from the two who gave a thumbs up to both Alex and Linda. It would be interesting.

Well, they're fuckery (yes, pun intended :D )has made the story more interesting, so thumbs up for that maybe?? *shrug*

It's almost a tie between neutral and thumbs down for Alex, whcih I think makes sense. I voted neutral though.
ravenstar84
Top-Notch Truffle

Postby mochaloca85 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:41 am

I went neutral for Alex (obviously thumbs down for Linda) mostly because though he does jerk-like things, he doesn't actually realize that he's acting like one. I honestly think if someone were to actually sit him down and explain to him why the things he does are wrong, he might do some behavior evaluation and fix them. Or he could say "f*ck it" and ignore them completely. Either way, he doesn't MEAN to come off the way he does to everyone. Plus, he's being manipulated by Linda, too, and that makes me feel a little bit of pity for him.
mochaloca85
Quality Jelly Bean

Postby DDR_Ninja » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm going to hold off on giving a final verdict, and here's why.

You may recall the strip where Laura and Trevor had the argument over how to continue their relationship after Matt entered the picture, and to answer Trevor's point that they had an agreement from the first and he was simply following that agreement, her reply was "things change."

In the earlier strips, I actually didn't think Alex was such a bad guy, and I didn't see why everyone else was so down on him. But then after the iPod story arc, I got a very clear picture of what it was. After I saw him wrench it out of her hands and then rearrange her entire playlist, I thought, "wow, what an ass-hole!" Then there was the aftermath of the Fair incident. I saw it coming that he was probably going to drop her in the future, but that had to be the absolute WORST time he could have picked to do it. True, it wasn't his fault for immediately hanging up on Candi, he didn't know, but to add that on top of the strain she was already enduring? As has been remarked above, he isn't intentionally a bad man. He's just a very careless man who can do some incredibly STUPID things.

However, where some of you are saying this is what saves him from getting the thumbs-down, I actually think this makes him even MORE unlikeable. Even though he probably does mean well, he's still just a DUMB-ASS who failed to see through Linda's utter conniving bitchiness and fell right into her web, headfirst. If he were a bit brighter, or better at reading into things, he undoubtedly would have figured this out on his own. Hell, Candi figured it out, and all the other characters talk about how SHE'S the most naive and spaced-out one of the lot! So in my book, that makes Alex worse, because his stupidity is what ALLOWED Linda to take things as far as she did.

But who knows? The fat lady hasn't started singing yet: there's still a chance he might redeem himself.

Now as for Linda, I can't defend her at all. True, maybe some people might think, "well, back in high school she had a guy stolen from under her nose, so now she's just learned to go right after what she wants," but personally, I would've thought that experience would teach her how LOUSY it feels and that no one needs that grief. I'm truly relishing Matt's plan for revenge: Candi gets to be the same likeable person we're all familiar with now, and Linda still gets bedbugs. Peachy.

Yes, I realize that was quite long. Have some pucca if you read the whole thing.

[disappears]
REAL NINJA ROCK ON WITH THEIR MASKS ON
DDR_Ninja
Peanut Butter Cup Captain

Return to Candi Comics Discussion